Maryland fire hydrant question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by thomsoutdoor, Mar 26, 2007.

1. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

Looking to get a permit to fill my tank up at a fire hydrant. Does anybody know who I call to get this permit and roughly what it will cost. Thanks

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Permits will be different in every local town. But Check with your Fire Dept Chief would be where I would start.

3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Check with your local water authority. Up here that is who issues the permits.

4. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

thomsoutdoor You need to talk to your city's dept of public works, director of water dept. The fire chief may know the name of the contact but we (fellow firefighter) have no control of who uses a hydrant.

5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Your water dept will know. I contacted my local water dept in Delaware and they don't issue permits for anyone to use fire hydrants here, you have to go directly to the water dept and they have meters on the hydrants there and you pay them per gallon. But MD could be different

6. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

just make a friend in the fd and have him borrow the hydrant tools

7. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

You dont need a "hydrant wrench" Just use a really big set of adjustables. Just dont mess the flats up. If you want a "Hydrant wrench" just go to a local fire dept equipment store and buy one.

8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Until you set off the alarm and the coppers show up. Here it is a flat fee for the permit and they give you the tools as part of the fee for unlimited water.

Why not just do it the right way?

9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! Why would you even want to use a hydrant? Can you imagine some chemophobe sitting at red light watching you do that????
    Do you have the proper valving so contaminated water doesn't backsiphon?
    I wouldn't risk the liability exposure. Just go back to your shop.

10. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

At least in Baltimore getting the tools and permit to tab into a hydrant is the way to go. Filling up at my garage would be great if there was water there. Filling up at my house is 30 miles away the opposite direction. Never heard of contaminated water so hopefully thats not a problem. MDA requires a anti-siphon set up which is basically cheap PVC piping. I had the information once before a couple years ago and I have no idea want I did with it. I believe you are given a meter and you pay as you go.