Maryland homeowner & my self-help project going on.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Dave88LX, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

Been slowly but surely working on turning my yard from crap into something hopefully halfway decent. It's come a long way from what it was, but, still has even further to go.

Hope to learn a bunch from you guys and receive guidance where and when necessary.

Everyone loves pics.

Day we bought the house. Random bushes and shrubs everywhere, NO rhyme or reason (I mean, who does that, look at them!), and this huge stupid planter covered in Ivy.
    [​IMG]

Jeez.
    [​IMG]

You can imagine how fun it was getting all this out of the ground.
    [​IMG]

Just really ugly, and crowded. And random.
    [​IMG]

Pulled out all the bushes and shrubs, leaving behind the big row of hedges, and that evergreen tree that was randomly planted in the middle of the yard. This was 2 years ago. I'm a slow worker. ;)

Actually I just have major ADD...I can't finish one project before I start another one around here.
    [​IMG]

Still nasty, as of 2 weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

Said to hell with it, neither I nor my neighbors could see around the bushes, pain to keep up with, and I plain hated them. Same with the stupid random evergreen. Out it all came.
    [​IMG]

Have put down close to 5 tons of new topsoil so far filling in and leveling things off. Still have a ways to go. I like it much better already.
    [​IMG]

Another side-project I would like to complete. Something like this. I want a walk-way through it.
    [​IMG]

Back yard is also a disaster. With 2 dogs, it's going to be a losing battle.
    [​IMG]

My truck.
    [​IMG]

I'll keep ya's updated with any progress I make. I'm always open to ideas, suggestions, and constructive criticism. Don't be shy.

2. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 LawnSite Senior Member

yard looks better already. nice piece of property

3. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

That's some awesome progress so far!

4. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Looks good man.

5. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

had a can of diesel sitting there in that one pic. you burn some stuff?

6. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

Oh, nope. I don't know why it was there to be honest with you.

It's a long process trying to get it done on my free time!

7. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like you are on the right track

8. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 LawnSite Senior Member

a good mowing would help the look of the back yard

9. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

More like a weed-whacking...it's so terrible. Really need to just kill everything and start over. Maybe a Harley rake or something.

I did finally (mostly) finish that one corner area:

[​IMG]

Put up a fence around the front.

Thinking making this just a mulch/flower bed on the outside of the fence to the driveway. If you have other ideas I'd love to hear them. I don't know if I should do mulch out a couple feet on either side of the fence, or grass on the inside mulch on the outside, or what the heck to do. Whatever makes mowing easier...I'm thinking mulch.

But, at least it's coming along a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]