maryland sales tax on mowing??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jeffex, Nov 8, 2007.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh what fun it is to live in the communist state of Maryland. 5 more years before I can retire and move. Now our Gov. is proposing taxing landscaping services. I have done all I can to call fax and e-mail my reps to "just say no to taxes" . Next year we may become revenue agents for the biggest tax and spender of them all Martin O'malley. want to get involved? its easy http://www.wbal.com/shows/c4/guide.asp This nut wants to turn MD into a sanctuary state for illegal aliens because he believes they will all become democrats. He is willing to tax Legal Qmericans to pay for their free health care and schooling. The realestate agents marched on Annapolis and shut down his plan to tax their services. The property management services and health clubs-gyms complained loudly and he backed off them. If you don't speak up you'll be the one eating it.

2. jeffex

oh I see i've been move to business mgt hell!!! appropriate category but not many looks from the little guy who will be shocked when he /she finds themselves collecting taxes in 08 for the gov

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Not a real big deal. Been collecting sales tax for almost 20years here in PA.

Takes 2 minutes a month. All done online.

4. jeffex

but its NEW for us Marylanders. Its not etched in stone yet if we fight it. but we'll probably just roll over and fill next years threads up with whine after whine about it.

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

lets say they don't tax landscaping services...so that add the tax to some other item like screw drivers?

Basically omally wants to tax the richer folks. heath clubs, and landscaping is by and large luxury items....

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

7. jeffex

I see our posters are not Maryland tax payers!!?? health clubs spoke up and are off the table. In the latest O'malley tax package top earners will get a DECREASE in their piggyback tax from 6.5% to 5.5% while those earning under $150,000 will remain the same. That smells like a tax break for the rich to this simple man. The 20% increase in sales tax is pretty much a done deal but voices have rung out to take their names off the table for the service tax. where is our voice? they have heard mine but i'm just one little fish. A lot of little fish make a school of fish. what did you maryland lcos do about it just click on the link and follow up. I bet this will take less time than paying your sales taxes in 08 online. step up !!!!!

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

working in Dc and living in VA..as if I don't pay enough taxes...give me a break.... They are not asking you to pay any taxes. only assist with the collection. being that landscape companies are using fuel and in some case their waste goes into the landfills needlessly, why not tax your customers on it?. Don't you already tax your customers when they purchase plants from you...no probably not, you buy them and pay the nursery the sales tax so you don't have to deal with it like every other business man...maybe they are using as a way to help eliminate the shady business people, the ones who dodge payroll taxes, and income taxes as well...Just one more level of enforcement...

9. jeffex

man i've never seen someone that eager to roll over on a new tax! wait until md lcos try and get their profit increase as well as inform their customers about the new sales tax. I can just see all the posts on LS about it

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

jeffex,

Take no offense, but I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

It is a great way to show potential and current customers that you ARE legit. I get new customers from time to time and they say...."Tom, I was never charged sales tax by XYZ & Sons Mowing, why are you charging me?" "Well Mrs. Jones, they were required to do the same thing, seeing as they weren't, they likely weren't paying taxes either."

It really isn't a big issue. I remember switching over. This was all pre-computer. It WAS a hassle back then. Now with the computer, it's just a few keystrokes a month.