1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Maryland solo - insurance quotes (Erie & Harford)- seems high to me..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I got 2 quotes today trying to find something cheap after searching through and reading some of the posts here at lawnsite. A saw a lot of you getting good rates ($300-$400) for a $1 million gen. liability policy.

I went to a local insurance agent that was on the Erie website. Told him I was a solo lawn care operator. He asked if I did snow or spray applications. Told him no. He gave me a quote of $518. I know this is not high compared to what I read some of you are paying, but it's not close to the $350 most others using Erie... He siad he'd work up a quote for commercial truck & trailer insurance and get back to me. I don't know why he couldn't work it up then and there?

Second quote was through my Geico insurance company. They don't personally do commercial or general liability but got me a quote through Harford. $897 for GL and $1293 for commercial. $897 makes the $518 quote look fantastic... $1293 is rediculous! Is this because I went though Geico?

I was all excited to go price shopping after I read all the posts but it wore off quickly...

Tomorrow I'm going to try another agent for Farm Family insurance... See what happens...
  2. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats probably about right we kick out about 1300 a year for insurance.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Your Harford price is because you went through the Geico agent. I have my liability and equiptment ins. through Harford and it's $642.00 a year.
  4. kturner

kturner LawnSite Member

Yeah, ours is 1200 a year and I couldn't find better. I knew it should have been less. I'll have to see if Hartford is in the area.
  5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

1 mil gen liability and "contractor stretch" to cover equipment.
  6. dhicks

dhicks Member

I have Erie insurance and I have a one/two million coverage for liability. All tools, mowers, and trailer are also covered against theft or loss and fire or destruction. I even have a snow plow coverage as a rider to the policy. My rate hovers around $500 mark per year. Gieco's affiliate wanted about $900.00 per year for less coverage. What a rip off.
  7. Richard Martin

Just so you guys know, there is a difference between Hartford and Harford. My spelling was correct and not a typo. Harford is a Maryland based ins co.
  8. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Good ole' HARFORD County
  9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the feedback guys...

I wish you guys were a little more specific... Is it $1200 - $1300 total (truck and GL)?

Richard do you have a direct contact for Harford?

I got a quote from Nationwide:

GL - $1,000,000/2,000,000 - $529

IM - $12,000 equip coverage - $268

Comm/truck ('95 Dodge 1500) - $250,000 - $1268

I still can't get over the price for the comm. truck insurance. It's double the price of regular auto... :(

Waiting to hear back from another agent on Farm Family...
  10. Richard Martin

TSG wrote:
    Richard do you have a direct contact for Harford?

Harford is available through Independent Insurance Agents. Phone 1-410-838-4000