1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Maryland Trailer Regulations?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by recycledsole, Nov 5, 2012.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

thanks alot sir . i couldnt find the part where it said lettering, fuses, fire extinguisher
  2. norsky

norsky LawnSite Member
    from MN

call the DOT and get a handbook. read it, then call them with your questions and get the correct answers.
  3. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Call them three times and three different answers.
  4. recycledsole

from MD

hey guys, wanted to give you some info. I talked to the guy in charge he said i needed:
    1) DOT # (Free)
    2) DOT # and business (or personal) name displayed on vechile with magnetic sign or any other way.
    3) DOT med exam card
    4) Fire extinguisher
    5) Triangle kit

hopefully this info helps you all.
  5. 4slservices

4slservices LawnSite Member

So I'm in Maryland and I filled out the application form for the number. I have a ford f250 pickup and a 10K dump trailer. I called to check the status of the application and told them what I had. They told me that even though my gvw is over 10K, I do not need a MD DOT number because the truck that I am using to tow the trailer is under 10K AND I am only driving intrastate. My service area is only about a 10-20 mile radius. He told me that I still need to have the DOT med exam card, fire extinguisher and the triangle kit but I do not need the number. He said if I get pulled over for inspection to refer to title 22 section 404.3 paragraph B 2.

I know that the number is free but does that mean I will have more daily paperwork and safety audits if I have one?
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  6. swanny

swanny LawnSite Senior Member

Do you remember the name of the officer you spoke with and where he was out of? thanks!
  7. 4slservices

4slservices LawnSite Member

I forget his name but i reached him by calling the number on the mddot application form. Are you applying for a number?
  8. recycledsole

from MD

I saw the us dot application page and could not apply. it said enter your dot number on the dot application page. how can give my number when I am applying for a number?
    I believe the man's name was ray who I spoke with.