1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewE, Nov 8, 2003.

1. AndrewE

AndrewE LawnSite Member

I've started to see alot of guys from Maryland on here. Can you guys help me with the laws of the lawn business that we have here? I've been told many different things. Thanks Guys can't wait for the 2004 season when I plan to go bigger than my neighborhood.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Pesticide Applicators license required to put anything on a lawn except for straight fertilizer and grass seed.

If you have more than 20 thousand dollars worth of equipment you are required to get an "L" number form the state and pay personal property tax on said equipment. No one does this until they get audited by the state. Then they get an "L" number.

A license from the Department Of Agriculture (or DNR, I'm not sure which) is required if you intend to trim trees. The license is not required if you cut the same trees down.

If you do any kind of construction (retaining walls, sidewalks, 120 volt lighting, etc) you are required to have a Maryland Home Improvement Commission license.

If you use the words Landscapers, Landscaping, etc in the name of your business or to describe your business you are required to obtain the above license.

There is no license required to mow grass in Maryland. Local jurisdictions may require one. Ask them.

Building permits may be required for each landscaping job that you do. Ask your local authorities.

If you intend to sell firewood a license is required from Maryland Weight and Measures. They take this license very seriously. If they receive a complaint about you and you don't have this license there are very heavy fines involved.
  3. BBS

BBS LawnSite Member

I'm near you Andrew,Waldorf area Charles county...Meaning? WE HAVE NO LAWS! lol
  4. AndrewE

AndrewE LawnSite Member

Thanks Richard you've been the most help some far thaks alot. Do you know how much they cost and if you can get them at 16. I want to be ligal and not take others business.