Masonary blades, how durable?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Shady Brook, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have a couple brick paver jobs coming up where I want to use my cut off saw to cut the brick. I am just doing edgeing so there will not be a lot of cutting involved. What can I expect if I use a masonary blade to cut the brick as opposed to a diamond blade. I may only have to cut 30-40 bricks total, can I expect a cheap masonary blade to last that long, or will I go through blades like mad? Any estimates on how long these blades last, or reccomendations on a particular brand that is of superior quality? If I do go the diamond route, can anyone reccomend a good reliable brand of blade? It seems like there are alot of degrees of quality when it comes to these types of blades.

Thanks

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

get a good diamond blade. it'll run you close to $80 or more, but well worth it from my expierence

3. kbremn71

kbremn71 LawnSite Member

Are you talking about a gas powered cut off saw with a 12" or 14" blade? If so, I should think that a diamond blade will run you quite a bit more than $80. I would also think that would be a little awkward trying to cut small pavers with. When I install pavers, I use an ordinary 7 1/4" circular saw with a diamond blade. I've used the cheaper diamond blades, cost about $20 with very good success on concrete pavers but they do tend to wear down quickly. So I generally go for the more expensive blades - about $80. As for the masonary blade - those black fiberous things - cheap but completely useless!!

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have an electric cut off saw mounted on a base. It has a vice type mechanism to hold brick or steel to be cut with some measure of precision. I have seen the diamond blades for it from $100-$300. I believe they vary quite a bit depending on how much diamond is there, what kind of cut you will get with certain types of stone and such. I know the masonary discs blow when used on a circular saw, but was not sure what the life span would be in the 14" size. Any other thoughts are appreciated, and thanks for your comments fellas.

5. ups

ups LawnSite Member

14" diamond is the best.. i have three different types: a concrete 14" with diamond blade, a electric with a mason and it is the worst, and a 10" wet saw which is nice but it takes some more time than a concrete saw..but the nice thing about the concrete saw and the wet saw is that they reduce the dust.. the concrete saw is more mobile however in every senario..

6. kbremn71

kbremn71 LawnSite Member

Ahh, a chop saw, thats a different story. I've never tried one of those. Most of the chop saws that you find are for cutting metal. Those designed for cutting brick are quite pricey. I was told by someone that the ones designed for metal, while they will work on masonary with an appropriate blade, create so much dust that the life of the saw is greatly reduced. One of these days, I'll pick up one of the cheaper models and give it a try... Anyone had much luck using them. Seems that it would be nice to get a straighter cut without having to bend over quite so much :)

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i bought a lowe's $99 cut off saw and slapped a $149 diamond blade on her and it has been working great. I have used it through 4 paver jobs and let a counterpart use it for two of his..... has been a great buy...

8. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Rent the chainsaw type with a diamond blade - It should be around $70 including $30 for blade wear.