1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

massachusetts trailer inspections

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mr.greenjeans, Feb 24, 2009.

1. mr.greenjeans

mr.greenjeans LawnSite Member

I have a Ford F250. Registered at #8000. A single axle big tex trailer registered at #3000. Combined weight #11,000. According to the new law I will need both inspected because I am over #10,000.???????????????????

Can anyone give me a straight answer on this?:dizzy:
  2. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

3. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

4. John from Mass

John from Mass LawnSite Member

Just had mine done~~Lots of horror stories about a dot guy in Wrentham that's writing big tickets to landscapers~~rumored $7700 last week to a guy coming out of Norfolk power...
    I paid $129 to have my six month old trailer "inspected" as well as my six month old truck...truck is not commercial plate so was "only" $29...wd have been another $129 if commercial plate.
    There was nothing to it~~checked my lights and chains etc..
    I asked if they had the rules for gas containers, types of tie downs etc thay did not; wasn't their area.
    This is a great stimulus program; rob from the landscaper and give to the inspection program.

5. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Massachusetts sucks...I'm glad I'm registered in NH...
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

can you say...

USDOT numbers?
  7. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

And Med card and safety equipment;)
  8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I only paid $79.00 for my trailer sticker, $29.00 for the sticker and $ 50.00 for labor to do the inspection.
  9. dvblandscaping

dvblandscaping LawnSite Member

Ive been driving a one ton, and a small trailer.

so I need DOT #s now? I read something about needing an alarm that notifies operator when dump bed is raised?

could someone list more specifics for this new inspection. I read the mass.gov pdf, but it does not explain anything about dot #'s etc.

do i need a medical card if I am driving a one ton (registration says 11000gvw) and a 5x8 single axel trailer?
  10. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I think patrick is pushing to squeez every dollar he can out of the little guy. when you get the inapection sticker you must have a medical card, fire extinguisher,safty kit anf chalk blocks even if is a 350 pick up . dot numbers i don't think they are required although my inspection guy says it is not incorperated in your inspection sticker. ??