1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Massey Ferguson ZT33 72" exceeding expectations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MSS Mow, Sep 4, 2006.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I bought the newly introduced Massey Ferguson ZT33 72" Zero turn in June and WOW, has it ever performed. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I still have my Kubota ZD21 60 and I hate to use it now (still a good mower - but not a MF). My father usually uses the ZD 21.

The MF has more power than I could ever use and I mow a lot of hills and a lot of tall/wet grass. The controls are much more sensitive than the Kubota, which took some time to get used to. Very comfortable to ride.

Discharge of grass is great...even, with little to no clumping. *(assuming discharge guard is open).

The only negative I've seen is the rear caster wheels on the deck do not rotate 360. They are stationary wheels that only roll forward. I can lift them, but that of course limits their effectiveness.

The deck has wheels under it, which help with scalping. I see virtually no scalping with this mower. (Very rare and usually my fault).

I like the jack stand better than the Kubota too. It has a removeable jack stand that stores up front (in front of my feet). I then attach it with 2 pins and then it's just like a trailer jack. Very easy and it raises the mower a lot higher than the Kubota. Makes blade access very easy.

Just thought I'd give an update on my purchase. I can't compare it to other machines except the Kubota.
  2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

How have you found the weight? Does it leave many ruts etc.
  3. MSS Mow

from Maine

Definately a heavy machine. (Operator weight doesn't help at 300+ :) )

I don't typically mow in the same direction mow after mow, so, the short answer is not bad at all. I suspect however, if you regularly mowed in the same direction, that ruts would form.
  4. Apples

Apples LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the update. I demo'ed one about a month ago, it was a 29hp,72"
    deck. I liked it a lot, it did a great job in thick wet grass. I liked the shaft drive to the deck,no wasted power,due to belts slipping A very nice mower,I am a little worried about dealer support. It is the only one in the area. Good luck with yours, keep us posted on how it is doing! I think it was more powerful then the Ferris cat,or D.C. twin.
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Glad to hear the Massey is workin out good for you. They are nice machines. What did you pay for it?
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I for one appreciate the review... a lot.

I've been trying to 'track' these mowers for a long time.
    One reason is because I like diesels and the other is I have a GREAT Massey Dealer.
  7. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Shipping weight of unit without mower deck is 1367 pounds. 60" Std deck is 265 pounds. 72" Std deck is 287 pounds. 72" HD deck is 309 pounds

Does anyone know who makes this mower for Massey Ferguson?

It looks like a cross between the Kubota ZG and ZD series.

Who makes the diesel engine? Perkins?
  8. MSS Mow

from Maine

The mower is definately worth it, but without dealer support, that's a tough one. My dealer is 2 hours away (4 hour round trip) but there are no dealers in my neck of the woods so I don't have a choice.
  9. MSS Mow

from Maine

I guess all said and done close to $12,000.
  10. MSS Mow

from Maine

No problem Envy. Everyone wanted to know as soon as I bought it how I liked it. I've got a couple months under me with it now so it's easier to say.

With a GREAT dealer, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Of course only if you are in the market for one. Nothing but good to say about them. The only question is long term since they are brand new, but since Massey has been around in the tractor business for so long, I'm not worried about it. If it was a new startup, I might be more leary but with MF reputation.....