Massey Ferguson ZT33

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfish, May 27, 2006.

1. dfish

dfish LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Over here they are Iseki! Ive sat on one. They are big so probably better suited to large area mowing.

3. dfish

dfish LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

The size isn't an issue for me.Just curious about reliability and quality of cut.

4. gmdealer1

gmdealer1 LawnSite Member
    from NC

The pics make it look almost indentical to a Kubota.

5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

It does look the same as the Kubota but there are suttle differences. Its not a Kubota!
    dfish, If you saw one in person, you'd see that they are heavy duty. The pics dont do it justice. Iseki make outfront mowers that alot of council guys use around here. The cut is as good as anything else out there and the ztr has the same deck as on the out fronts.

If you have a large enough area to warrent a large machine, demo one!

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Iv'e used one! Very briefly, and on pasture ground... It was a "test" model and for some reason it was here in kansas. They were looking to rack up 50 hours on it ASAP so it was getting passed from user to user. I[m not sure if everything on it was going onto the production models or not but I thought it was a POS. For a machine with only 50 hours it had many loose and broken parts, saftey switches that didn't work unless you jiggles and wiggled everything to get it to start, the ride was HORRIBLE as the seat was eating into every part of my backside. As for the cut quality, well, like I said, I was mowing some native grass at my parents place and they won't cut lower then 5" on the prarie grass, so hard to determine. I checked it over pretty good and didn't see much I liked honestly.. astectically, that fiberglass body is pretty silly, a few bumps into things and it's shattered.

I did notice that it was an Iseki engine, very rough start-up and shut-down, even for a diesel.

Not sure why people are thinking it's a Kubota, I see NO similarities at all up close.

7. dfish

dfish LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the reply. I did get to look it over pretty good at the dealer. We were discussing the adventures of a mutual friend while standing next to the ZT33 with the 72" deck. I started asking questions about it and he said "Let me go get the key, I was going to mow today anyhow.Go give it a spin."
    The grass wasn't that tall, but considering he mows it at 2", I was taking quite a bit off. I wind-rowed some of it into some uncut stuff and charged into it about 3/4 speed. Neither the deck or engine seemed to notice I was cutting too much material at too great a speed. It didn't leave any streaks and discharged everything properly. I was impressed with the overall machine and obviously, the power. I haven't gotten to try one out on one of my properties yet.
    The dealer hasn't sold any yet, nor has any other dealers that I know of.That's why I was curious of durability and quality of cut under normal conditions.
    The price was, in my opinion, really good and they have very attractive financing right now. Just don't want to get stuck with an orphan. I would plan on keeping it for a LONG time!

8. dfish

dfish LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Jason, I would imagine you did have a pre-production model. All the bodywork on this one was metal. All the controls worked well. The hydro controls were smooth and comfortable. The only thing I thought was crude was the deck height selector.I guess the rough start up wasn't unusual to me since it is the same engine as one of the compact tractors we have, and it sounded the same.
    As for why it was in Kansas, that it where Massey's parent company (AGCO)'s U.S. engineering and mfg. center is. It is located in Hesston, Kansas. It's also why I would guess it was a pre-production model. I think this is the first or second year for these in the states.

9. Apples

Apples LawnSite Senior Member

Hey dfish, What's the ball park price on the mower? I would guess around 11-12k.

10. dfish

dfish LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I was given a price of $9750 on a ZT29/60" and $10,700 on the ZT33/72". He said that was invoice on the 33. He didn't have a 29. He did say there was over 2k diffrence on list between the two.