massey-ferguson ztrs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tarp5350, Nov 24, 2006.

1. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Kubota makes large diesel ZTR mowers similar to the Massey Ferguson mower. They have: hydraulic deck lift with adjustment knob, suspension seat, deep decks, shaft driven deck, dual belt connecting the blades, wet clutch PTO, Kubota diesel engine (up to 31 hp, I believe), casters that double as mower jack, and are similar in weight to the Massey Ferguson.

2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

They are $13-14k new.

I own both, a Massey with a 33 hp diesel 72" deck and two Kubotas, both 331's one with 60" deck and bagger and the other a 72". I would reccomend the Kubotas over the Massey every day of the week and twice on Sunday. The Kubotas are so much better of a machine.

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

interesting how you changed your opinions MSS over a couple years ago when you thought your massey was the cats meow!

4. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought MF had their own engines? I think they do on their farm tractors anyway? Just curious, Are their ZTRs expensive or in line with others.

5. MSS Mow

from Maine

Yeah, it has definately changed with time. Once I bought the first Kubota 331, I knew that the Massey would never measure up.

6. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Can you elaborate? Just wondering what changed your mind.

7. badbart

badbart LawnSite Member

I have a Massey Ferguson 240 and it has a Perkins 3 cyl. diesel. I also have a Cushman 72" Frontline mower and it has a Kubota 3 cyl. diesel. Go figure....

8. MSS Mow

from Maine

I don't mind at all. The kubota provides a better cut (even though the MF provides a good cut too), the kubota provides a much better, more comfortable ride (which is critical when riding all day), the antiscalp wheels work much better on the kubota, the kubota will discharge the grass a country mile, whereas the MF barely gets it out the discharge chute (this also helps in blowing off paved drives with the Kubota), the kubota, though 2 less HP has way more power, and finally, dealer service.

My kubota dealer, while they have their faults, at least are familiar with and can work on my kubota Z. Whereas the MF dealer is not at all familiar with the MF Z. The MF Z is new to the market here in the Northeast, and I bought the first one my dealer sold. The have since only sold 2-3 units (all to private farms), therefore they have little to no knowledge and even fewer parts in stock for them.

9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks! I see an Iseki version doing road sides here. They have the stamped deck and it seems to do a pretty fair job, cutting real rubbish grass that should probably be done with a bush hog. I havent seen one on nice lawns though!
    When they came out I checked one over. Seemed a very large machine, to big for me. I know a guy who used to do a lot of work for the city. He ran Iseki out fronts and loved/swore by them. He bypassed the ztr and went to Scag. He became a Scag dealer actually. Point is, if he thought the Iseki ztrs were good, he would of stuck with them!

Anyway, cheers for the info!