1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Massive Dog holes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by d&rlawncare, Apr 23, 2007.

1. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The short version- Lady calls for an estimate. I tell her I would come by and take a look and call her after 1pm. I tell her my basic service is mow/trim/blow and edge (once a month on the edging). I ask her if there is anything in her yard I need to know about, sprinkler systems, pipes, unburied cables etc. She says no. I ask her if she needed any other work, mulch etc. She says do you fill HOLES. She then tells me her dogs have dug holes all over her back yard. Im thinking 2-3 holes near a fence line.

There must be 25-35 holes all the size of a basketball ranging from 8"-2 feet deep!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to double cut just to take the uneven look away.

I could offer to fill them with top soil but I truely think her dogs will just dig them up again. But I guess that would not be my concern. I am guessing this would be a 2 hour job, 2 yards topsoil, and seed. I am thinking $180 for labor (2 of us)plus cost and delivery (I would pick up) of topsoil and seed.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???????????????
  2. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

sounds to me like she needs to get rid of some dogs! but i do agree with you that the dogs will probably just dig up the holes again. its not your problem if the dogs dig it up again though. i think your labor price is a little high, unless that price includes material as well. I usually charge $45 per hour for 2 people.
  3. RLC5

RLC5 LawnSite Member

I bet she has black labs!!! Throw some dog **** in the holes, that will keep them out of those holes but usually find new places to dig. I think your labor price is high too but it sounds like the 1st guy who replied is too cheap. $60 an hour for two guys is perfect.
  4. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Your right.

3 yards @ $16.00 =$48.00
    Delivery =$30.00
    Seed (?) =$25.00 ...
    Labor (2 people) =$90.00 (2 hours) ($45-$55 PER PERSON) Ill decide that later.

Total =$193.00