Massive widespread drought - impact on you

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jul 10, 2012.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I am doing every 10-14 on most lawns now. 3 weeks tops. After that I do mow to knock down the quackgrass and weeds (the ones I don't also treat).
    Have never gone more than 3 weeks without mowing a lawn. After that amount of time it looks better cut than scraggly.

2. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

The thing is, there's nothing there. Looks like march after the snow melts. All dormant. They are sprayed for weeds. Most around here mowed in the heat of the day and burnt everything.

I cut a couple yesterday after almost 3 weeks. I'm hoping to het most back on every other week now that we got a little rain and its not quite so fricken hot. Man, the last couple years have been a roller coaster for weather.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. K & K Mowing

K & K Mowing LawnSite Member

Here in north central Maryland no drought whatsoever. Wish I cold send some rain west for ya. Last three days have had between 2 & 5 inches. Most of the alphalfa fields have been cut three times so far. Corn is near 8' tall. This is unusual even for this area. Be mowing today except it's still raining.

Regards, Kevin:usflag:

4. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think our rainfall last year was a bit above average.
    For the most part we did good in the North Metro.

July of last year proved fatal to a few North Metro lawns
    when we had record breaking heat.

Morehead had the highest index at 134*F

This is last years map July 20, 2011. After that and starting in August, we were getting into drought conditions state wide.

No snow 2011-12 wasn't good.

heatwave.JPG

5. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

we did good down here til mid august when the rain stopped. It actually stopped the couple days of July. We didn't get anything til it snowed, if you want to call it that. Doing field work was almost impossible. We went through 7000 in plow shears and chisel plow points. Plowed at 2mpg. Normally 4-5. If there's no snow this winter, I'm going to have to restructure the way I do business.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

Oh and I'm sick of this friggen heat.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

AMEN to that...I use to want rain...now I don't even care as long as it cools the hell down!

8. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Send some rain a little farther south (Southern Md). Hay fields here will be lucky if they get a second cutting.

9. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Sold all my lawn equipment and bought ETF CORN...+35% in one month :)
    Exogenous Shock