1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Massive widespread drought - impact on you

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jul 10, 2012.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

For some unexplaneable reason the homes I service havent had a drop of rain for a month. Everyone else including my hoe have had enough ran for everything to remain gree.

2/3rds of my accounts are irrageted so I have some work. I will run a add next week because every year the new fellers quit when drout happens. Im no longer taking on accounts that are not irragated
  2. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Up in Northern Ohio we've been skipping lawns since the end of May. It's bad. We've gone a month or more on accounts. We are at the point of no return on them. Landscaping has been great for us and once we run out of work in the next month or so we'll be twiddling thumbs until Leaf season.
  3. K & K Mowing

K & K Mowing LawnSite Member

Here in north central Maryland no dorught so far. Had 1.30" inches of rain this past Sunday night and Thursday before that about 3/4". Been averaging about an inch of rain per week or more since end of April. Must be in the sweet spot I guess. From Baltimore south though I've heard that things are quite stressed from heat & not enough rain making for the lawns being a little crispy.

Kevin :usflag:
  4. Zirk's

Zirk's LawnSite Member

I've been doing a lot more fishing as of lately! :)
  5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

It's dry and 80-90 every damm day this month we expect 20 unscheduled skips this week. Next week that number will likely double. I do over 180 accounts but every dollar is important we plan out expenses months even years ahead. Were now in survival mode and our employees are now splitting Monday and Tuesday each guy gets one of those days. The 3 days of mowing Wednesday through Friday are servery shortened. Peek season those 3 days can see 33-35 hours that's dropped by 5 to 10 hours and with only one other day none of them will be seeing OT till Fall. There is no need for weekends at all at this time. The Nuclear Option is cutting the 2 owners salaries but considering we each run a crew and work harder then the boys that is one we do not wish to use. All I need is some Rain the lawns are bad but not beyond the point of no return yet.
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Amazing the difference an hour drive makes.

You guys are better off than we are for sure. Up here in Bloomington, we're getting scorched earth. Won't be long until we see bare dirt in lawns if we don't get something. I've noticed Decatur has gotten a touch more rain than we have in the past month.

As for the biz, it really hasn't effected us at all. Luckily I snagged about 10 monthly full grounds maintenance contracts. I still get paid to go pick up garbage and knock down weeds in the lawns.

It's been almost 5 weeks on some accounts we haven't mowed, and 4 weeks on the rest.

Landscaping/hardscaping has been super and surprisingly great this year. I'm just glad I centered the business around that.

7. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

What is everyone else doing w their employees? Any creative ways to keep them busy and not lay them off? We are selling some power washing and other misc. work but not enough to keep them busy.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. B&SFTW

B&SFTW LawnSite Member

I've had to skip mowing, edging, and trimming 3 times on one lawn. still did weed pulling, mulch work, and cleanup. so I missed out on a total of $90 so far.
  9. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah on bright side. from past experience with these things, the tomatoes plants i put in should be good and tasty when they start producing. long as i get em watered.
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Also, definitely seeing leaf drop from the birches, crabs, etc. Some lawns look like its September out there.