Massive widespread drought - impact on you

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jul 10, 2012.

1. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

Folks don't have sprinkler systems??

2. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here many don't have irrigation systems. Out of our 150 accounts only 22 have irrigation. Our temps have been averaging between 95-105 for the last several weeks. This week and next is 101 - 105 every day. The irrigated lawns are going every two weeks the rest are one and done. Most all of our non irrigated lawns look like the pics above with just a little k31 growth in places. This has been the most challenging year I can remember. I feel like some really hard choices are coming soon. I can't even remember what rain smells like.

3. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like the Lawns Here in Southern MD. Although rain is on the way:clapping:

4. BPS##

from WY

I'd be selling sprinkler system installs.

Its good money, you get paid to install, you get paid to maintain, you get paid to winterize it,
    and you get paid to start it up in the spring. Along with repairs.
    And you get more mowings out of the season.

Win win

5. Brett Thomas

Brett Thomas LawnSite Member

X2 ^ im with him

6. BPS##

from WY

My bro in law thinks that lawn care is about the stupidest thing.

Customers PAY for fertilizing so that the grass grows so that they have to PAY you for mowing. Then they PAY you for starting and maintaining the sprinkler system all season..... so that the grass grows and they have to PAY you for mowing.

lol

I told him its a hell of a racket if you can get it. He wasn't amused.

7. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

It's raining or something out side now. I hope it keeps up all night.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

Thats all fine and dandy untill the water restrictions start like ther are about to here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like we will be 4 months without any substantial rainfall and the exceptional drought continues in my county. Was 100 yesterday and should be around 102-103 today. Heat index will be between 105 & 110 today. There has been some rainfall around us, but not enough of course. I did have a somewhat pleasant surprise yesterday when I checked a couple of properties and found lush, green grass where 1 week ago it was dry and burned. One of the customers said they had about 2 inches from one of the pop-up showers that came through. May get one or two more mows from those before it goes dormant again. Rain prospects are very low!

10. LHS Lawns

LHS Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Without any rain the rest of the month I'll be at 60% of normal revenue for the month of July.

The forecast is calling for 50% chance of t-storms tonite and 80% on Friday.

We'll see what happens.

Looking forward to a better August.