master cylinder

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rdh, Jan 8, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i had to add fuild to master cylinder erlier. my peddle
    go,s to close to floor.

i see one place thats wet its in between master cylinder
    and the power booster that was not there before

is my cylinder bad?

85 3/4 v8 305 c20

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

yes

3. 85w/350

85w/350 LawnSite Member

My biggest problem is getting the brake fluid cap to stay on...especially with the gasket underneath...I have this problem on both my 82 and 85...I thought maybe it was just in need of a new cap so I bought one and the problem still remains...any tricks or ideas about this??

4. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

plowking35 thank you this site is great!

5. Jeff's Classics

Jeff's Classics LawnSite Member

If your master cylinder lid is held on with two wire bales, like most older GM master cylinders, you can tweak them a little to fit tighter. Take them off by pulling the ends out at the bottom where they go into the master cylinder. Then carefully bend the bale, you want to put a small "kink" in it to make it slightly shorter. bend a little at a time and try it until it fits nice and tight.
    Jeff
    http://www.jeffsclassics.com

6. 85w/350

85w/350 LawnSite Member

nah i wish it were that simple its just the stupid plastic lid with four plastic prongs....maybe i could get some sort of metal lid for it like that....ahh well I doubt it....my biggest concern is that the seal/gasket can never set right because the cap won't go on easily and without it it spills on every bump and stinks....I am worried about my brakes going out because there is not enough fluid one day....until the day i find a solution looks like i'll be buying more brake fluid