Master Gardner

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Russ, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you guys been in the Master Gardner Program at your local University? Just finished my first day and doing my homework. Wondering if anybody else has done it, and what they thought of it?

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I have a customer that went and she loved it. She gave me the info on it but I haven't signed up yet. She went last year and said it was very informative.

Keep us posted.

3. turfcat75

turfcat75 LawnSite Member

What is a master gardner program?

4. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Master Gardener program is a Horticulture course offered by the land grant University extension office of the state. It offers instruction in 17 areas ie. plant problems, landscape design, plant science, veg & flower gardening ect. The fee for the course is nominal, but you have to do 50 hours of community service(free), and your not allowed to refer to yourself as a Purdue Master Gardener in your for hire business. I have a lot to learn, so I'm taking the Program.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I completed it, and it was EXCELLENT! Ours was offered through our local Cooperative Extension Service which is through Michigan State University (I always cringe when I get to that part!) Part of the community service (it ALL has to be horticulture related) is to help answer the horticulture hotline at the C.E.S.. Very informative. The sad thing is, is that alot of people (citizens don't even know what the C.E.S. is, or that such a wonderful, absolutely free service exists. There is so much free information and brochures, not to mention the help is free. About the only thing you pay for is soil analysis tests. But that's well worth it as you get a computer printout of all your soil readings, contents, and percentages. They, then of course, advise you on what's beneficial to amend to your soil to solve your problems or improve your results.

6. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

I work for a school district and have one of these "master gardiner" students that will be doing her volenteer time with me. hope it is as good as you all say. so far i know more than her, and i have not gone too school. but i will always take free labor!

7. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I just completed the Master Gardener program thru the University of Florida. It was EXCELLENT. I learned alot. It's also nice because I now have access to and get updates from the horticulture dept of the University before anyone else. I also have access to all kinds of plant and pest ID books and references, plus all the knowledge of current and past Master Gardeners.

For $140 you can't go wrong. I also have to volunteer at the extension office for 75 hours, but I enjoy that cause that's where all the books are! :D

8. Quikcut

Quikcut LawnSite Member

Wow I was just considering signing up myself. I visited the zoo and the local program planted one of the gardens that made me instantly interested. Keep us posted on how it goes and hopefully I'll be joining the ranks of the Master Gardeners soon. :blob3:

9. Quikcut

Quikcut LawnSite Member

10. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member