master valve damage

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Green Sweep, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

I am fairly new to the irrigation business so please bare with me.
    I've had several master valves split right where they are threaded onto the copper. These are fairly new systems (installed within the last 5 years), and this obviously is the result of ground settlement. I am having a hard time explaining this to customers & they are reluctant to pay for the work. Just curious how you guys prevent this situation ( asside from using costly brass valves ), or handle this situation when it arises.

Thanks
    Rob

2. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Are you over tightening the threads? or using too much teflon tape? Ive never had a valve split like that, but ive seen female adapters split. I doubt its due to ground shifting. That would crack the pipe before it would crack a valve inlet. What brand valves are you using?

3. one of my personal rules is to NEVER, EVER, screw a plastic valve onto a metal male fitting...NEVER EVER. Copper, galvanized whatever it is.......teflon or no teflon, it will split a lot of times.

4. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

the copper end should have female threads while the plastic end should have male threads

5. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

ditto what the other dudes said.

brian