Master Valve Disconnected From Controllers

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ed2hess, Feb 2, 2007.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have a new property that has a master valve out on the media between the roadway. The valve was connected to three controllers.....but continuity has been lost. There is no way to trace the wires because they likely cross a couple street. I would to turn this valve on. It dumps too much water if I turn the bleeder or the selnoid. My question...if I remove the spring inside the valve will it stay on, and not leak.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen people gut the diaphragm to make a valve always stay open.

You need it to seal around the edges, but you can cut out the inside.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Multistrand??? :laugh:

Says you. I've traced wires across roads, parking lots, etc. with my 521. :nono:

Why not just remove it then? Or replace it with an isolation valve like a ball or gate valve? Just gut it like Jon said. :)

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you want a standard solenoid valve to stick open, just remove the plunger from the solenoid assembly.

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

A common problem I have found which perhaps ed is experiencing is that wires and charged pipe are often located in the road base/asphalt with no conduit.
    As Wet Boot refers to, the easiest manner is enable the valve to remain open is by removing the solenoid plunger.
    However, if this valve is indeed the master valve for the irrigation system, depending upon what municipality you are working in, a master valve is usually required.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Woah their cowboy. I've never seen every strand inside of a multistrand fail, and I always pull enough to have at least 2 spares, so if it is multistrand, it might just save his azz ;)

7. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

You can track with a 521 across the street, we have done that many many times. Sounds like you best bet would be to bypass the master, and if you need the master, you could set a battery controller to come on within a window that you set the controllers for. A latching solenoid can stay on all the time and it will not hurt it. I had a system of battery controllers that had masters and it worked fine.

8. PurpHaze

I gathered from the post that he's only having wiring problems with the master valve. Would be interesting to see a diagram as to where the controllers are in relation to the master valve. :)

9. PurpHaze

I think you have me confused with Gabby Hayes, Roy. I grew up at the beach on rock n' roll. The OC really does exist. :laugh:

10. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

tracing is no problem