masterchutes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vipermanz, Jun 22, 2005.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i've noticed quite alot of requests for masterchutes dead or alive, what is going bad on these so frequently??

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know what could be going wrong with them if anything but, I copied it and made my own. I've only had one problem and I did it to myself. I ran into a guy wire and it bent my actuating arm. I tried to fix it with the arm attached to the motor and messed up the gear on the arm. $65 for a new motor and all is fine.
    The units are really simple and hard to hurt unless you do it yourself like I did!

3. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Just copy Tharrell's design with the car window motor. I purchased 2 motors off ebay for $1 & $4 each plus shipping.

I"ll be building mine this weekend. Looks very simple.

4. Tharrell

If you can weld, you've got it made.

5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I'm the guy! Masterchutes are no longer made and I am trying to find a few more as backups and for other mowers. So I put an ad in looking for working or nonworking units in whole or just pieces that someone may laying have around. I find them extremely useful and want to make sure that I won't have to work without one in the future.

6. Tharrell

Could you post a closeup pic of that foot control? I have no idea where they got it. I know an old fashioned floorboard dimmer switch would work but, I kinda like the looks of the switch they had.
    BTW, what ever happened to them, is it clear yet?
    I think maybe a product liability issue came up.

7. gl1200a

The foot pedal is actually an oversized metal covered rocker switch. You can somewhat see it in the shot here.

I have heard that Masterchute closed down last year due to some product liability and now some fellow LCo on here that lives in the town they are manufactured in (in Michigan) says that some new folks have started it back up. But, the phone number and website are still closed down so who knows.

By the way Tharrell...as an ancient Husqvarna dirt biker I love your saying at the bottom of your Avatar.

Closeup Foot Petal.jpg

8. gl1200a

No warranty, no foot switch option and $30.00 shipping !?!?!?!? That blows.