Materials weight

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawn, Mar 15, 2007.

1. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Do you find out how much does a yard of landscaping materials weight? like mulch, sand, crushed stone, loam, leaves, branches, etc

I do not want to overweight my truck (Ford, F250-heavy duty)

2. lawn

Please help!!

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Everything is different and changes depending on moisture content. ie: dry mulch at 400 lbs. per yard becomes 600 when wet.. ect topsoil is around 2200 give or take, stone can very alot depending on density. Are you looking for something in particular?

4. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Topsoil, about 1800-2000 per yard.
    Hardwood mulch, about 600-700 per yard.
    Aggregates 1/2-3/4", about 2500-2700 per yard.

Water content could change this. Some places keep there stuff covered. If you grab something that's in the weather after a rain, you may want to add 10% to be safe.

5. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Most material yards can tell you this info and they should also know what the average truck or trailer will hold. Some yards have scales as well and they charge by weight.

If you're loading in the bed of your F-250, you'll most likely be restricted by volume before you have to be concerned about weight.

6. lawn

Thanks guys. I had two yards of crushed stones in my truck, the p;olice stopped me and gave me a ticket for overweight.

My issue is: how do I know how much the materials weight and how do I know how much to load?

My truck gvw is 11.000

7. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

Most places that sell stone ,sell it by the ton,if not when hauling stone don't get more then 1.5yrds(About 3,000lbs) On average stone weighs about 1.5tons per yrd.Also if in doubt, most truck stops have weigh masters there.(If your close to one.) If your mud flaps are on the ground your probably overloaded. :waving:

8. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

was the ticket by police or d.o.t.? the d.o.t. keep scales but around here the police don't. Here the cops have no clue if d.o.t. or the police stoped you and didn't weigh you I would take it to court. it will be droped because how will they really know whaty you weighed

9. analogdog

analogdog LawnSite Member

The cops were being hardasses if you got a ticket for that in a F-250 super-duty

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Did you cover the load?

Anytime you haul anything except mulch, cover it with a tarp, some places it's the law but out of sight = out of mind.
    I don't think you were overloaded, but what a pita, dunno what to tell you, maybe you can get a letter or some kind of proof that a cu.yd. of rock weighs 3,000 lbs. and your truck weighs 4,500 (this is on the title and may differ for yours) and if your gvwr is 11k and you had 2 cu.yds. then it stands to reason 4500 + 6k = 10,500...

A bit close, and all they had to do was load the shovel a little heavier than usual and you're over, but then the police has no way of knowing this, do they? Guess you could've went and got weighed, but I'm not sure if that helps or how it works.
    Come to think of it, how do they know if you're over?
    I can think of one thing, that's if you had pov tires on your truck instead of heavy duty load rated ones...?
    But still idk, maybe the officer doesn't understand the difference between a 150 and a 250?
    That would be my closest guess, most full size p'ups on the road are 150's / 1500's, and a lot of folks don't know the difference, 150/250/3500 is all the same thing to most people, that much I do know.
    What I would do is go to court and explain that yours is a 3/4 ton 250-series truck, unlike the many 1/2 ton 150-series that we see everyday, your truck is rated way higher than a standard full size pickup... And bring some paperwork and maybe that works.

Good luck