1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

matted brown grass

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 7474, Apr 7, 2008.

1. 7474

7474 LawnSite Member

Had a great lawn last year, super green and thick. This year after the snow melted (northeast ohio) I have several areas throughout my lawn of brown, matted grass (sorry will have pictures later). These areas can't be raked out with tearing the grass completely out. Can anyone offer any insight as to what is destroying my lawn?

Thanks in advance.
  2. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Could be snow mold. Was the area under heavy snow cover for an extended period of time this past winter?
  3. 7474

7474 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply. We did have heavy snows this year. However, I don't notice this problem on any of my neighbors lawns. If it is snow mold, what can I do to fix the problem and prevent it next year?

Thanks again for your assistance.
  4. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Don't over fertilize your lawn in the fall. High N levels going into the winter can contribute to the growth of fusarium patch - grey snow mold, pink snow mold. Lightly rake out the dead spots. Your turf will fill back in.
  5. 7474

7474 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply/information.