1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Maui County

Discussion in 'Employment' started by AlohaLawns, Aug 10, 2013.

1. AlohaLawns

AlohaLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maui HI

We are looking for year round workers. Not just seasonal. And we don't provide housing. I'm sure you can find an Ohana on the cheap.

Mahalo.

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Is Ohana the Irishman that owns the bar Donovan's Reef that got sold and became Gilhooley's Reef, or is he related to Obama?

I wonder how many people on LS are LS members or frequent visitors here that live in Hawaii?

3. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I'll bet it's hard to find someone to cut grass full-time in Hawaii. You know it's super expensive to live there and i would bet that any kind of part would cost 50% more than on the mainland, everything has to be shipped to the middle of the pacific. Finding good help sound's tough, good luck.

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

It is easy to find people to "cut grass" here. It is really hard to find people that will cross cut a lawn with a sharp reel mower not ground flat. It is even harder to find someone who will not use a string trimmer for everything. Parts do not cost that much more here for machinery. What kills is the cost of living combined with low wages because the employer is really squeezed. I am talking about WC, HI, GET, and office/shop space. Overhead is crazy here and it gets crazier when you are talking about having employees. The "rich" here are often land and asset rich, but cash poor. They live on multimillion dollar properties but cannot afford to maintain them properly. I count my blessings when I find a larger property owner that is not overextended. Sad to say that the only people who will do this kind of work for the wages the employer can afford to pay are those that are not from this country and have minimal mechanical skills. That's right, put a $2,000 walk behind 7 blade mower and they will break it or not be able to use it to the machine's fullest potential. Give then a $700 precision bladed trimmer and that machine will be used to cut cinder block and metal pipes. Which is why HE\\ will have to freeze over before I get employees. Never mind someone who does not read English handling a herbicide that is to be applied at 15 grams per acre not per gallon.

5. AlohaLawns

from Maui HI

It's a challenge that's for sure.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I thought all you Hawaiian dudes did was surf?

7. AlohaLawns

from Maui HI

Only when Jaws or Honolua is breaking... ;')

8. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Vacation lawn mowing...come surf and mow grass...oh yeah, those dudes don't work when the surf is good and like smoking it while cutting

9. greendoctor

I do not surf. Too many people have a string trimmer and pole saw attached to one side of the pipe rack, surf board on the other.

10. greendoctor

Dunno about smoking it. But again, I have got enough guys around who mow and blow for beer money.