max rpm

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Jun 26, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

to you guys who have experience with setting rpm.
    i was adjusting my 20 command today under blade load.
    i really left her humming.what would you fellas think the max rpm should be both for performance and longivity. any info appreciated.
    later TM

2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Check the operators manual for high rpm setting. It should be around 3600 rpm with NO LOAD! If you set it under load you will damage the engine at full throttle with no load, the governor will adjust rpm for load. If you are needing more power, I suggest buying a large engine.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

THANKS FOR THE INPUT CLAY. GUESS I BETTER TAKE IT UP AN HAVE IT CHECKED.THE ENGINE IS PLENTY STRONG FOR LAZER 52. JUST WANT IT AT PEAK SO AS TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF MACHINE POTENTIAL. LATER

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Tony,

A 20 Command will have no problems with 3750 RPM's NO LOAD. You never adjust RPM's under load. With blades engaged this should bring you down to 3650 or so.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

THANKS DIXIE ,I THINK THATS ABOUT WHERE IM AT NOW.
    I KNOW SHES REALLY PERKING BUT STILL SMOOTH SO THINK IM ALRIGHT.
    LATER NOW.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You should put a tach on the engine to see exactly how many RPMs the engine is turning. It is impossible to guess how many it is turning.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

THATS THE PLAN. im going to check it out of curiosity if nothing else.ill post if it turns out ive got it at 3900 or something like that.later

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I just read my Command owners manual,all command V-twins can run at 3750-no load as the max rpm's.This is right from Kohlers book,so thats where I d keep it.

9. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you get a tachhometer for mower engines? Will the same one work on trimmer engines?

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Vandora,

By trimmer engines, what do you mean? Push mowers, string trimmers? Most all small engines will spark every revolution which allows for these inductive pickup tachometers to work on all of these. In my opinion, every mower should come from the factory with a digital tach. Oh and you can find them at your dealership or any of the popular mail order parts catalogs.