1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Maxi/Mini Paw's rotating slowly

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I just did a quick renovation call for a landscaper that is redoing a 20 year old landscape.

Added two drip zones, moved a bunch of heads..the usual. Anyways, I found about 5 impact sprinklers that refused to move (they would hammer away, but not go anywhere).

I didn't feel like messing with them, so I replaced them for rotors...Any idea why they would do that?
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Could be dirt or debris. It might also just be worn out bearing washers. A certain amount of bearing friction is necessary for an impact head to work. Without it, there will be no rotation. I remember old brass impact heads with the same problem. Makes you say "Hmmmmm" the first time you see it.
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

As Wet Boots said it could be a bearing washer. Or a small stone in the impact arm. Or a burr on the part that the impact rotates on.
  4. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

could also be low pressure on these zones-----possible leak from the renovation?
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes, with brass impact heads, you would see the non-rotating impact heads when a homeowner noticed that the reversing trip mechanism was sticking, and got the bright idea of getting out the good ol' can of WD-40 ~ if only the trip mechanism got sprayed, all well and good, but if the spray got into the spindle bearing washers, and eliminated the friction, good-bye impact head.