1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Maximum weight before damaging or ripping turf..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott in the soo, Jun 29, 2004.

1. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

i'm looking at purchasing a zero turn rider in the next couple days.. i did demo it and was a bit concerned about the weight of it.. the weight is 840 pounds.. i know for my commercials it won't be a problem but how about my smaller residentials..

for the record, it is a husqvarna 1842.. sweet machine.. give me some weights of other some of your commercials zero turns.. thanx.
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

~1142 for my Gravely 260Z with fluids and gas. it only rips turf if i make too sharp of turns or move too quickly while going around objects.
  3. dirtylawndry

dirtylawndry LawnSite Member

Hustler Super Mini Z....About 1000 lbs and about 1250 with me on it. I have made some scuff marks and turf rips...but only after it rained the previous day and the soil is still wet. Also when I make too sharp a turn...and do it with one wheel pivoting. And also when I make too fast of a turn, all too easy to do, as these ZTR's are a lot of fun to mow with. I mow 2.5 acres and have made about 5 of these marks in a month or so, mowing every week. It rains a lot here, so they fill in pretty fast, but I can understand your concern if it's not your own lawn.
  4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

6 tons..............!
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

comercial grass can take more weight than residential?
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

The weight isn't really the issue, it's the ground pressure. And how much weight is too much might be different in your area than another's. Look for the biggest meats on the lightest machine in the size your looking for..
  7. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

what i meant by "not being concerned about my commercial accounts" is that i mow a couple steel mills with about 3 miles of grass in total.. actually not grass,, weeds, so a couple rips in the lawn will not matter..
  8. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler Z at 1140#, 1370# with me on it. No problems with rutting or ripping turf. When turf is ripped, it's usually operator error.
  9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

ZD21 is at 1256 pounds according to Kubota spec sheet. Yes it will divot soft wet turf easily. But its not so much the weight as it is the very agressive tires on it.
  10. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

If I remember correctly, the ZD 28 weighs about 1600.