May 1st strike

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by 6'7 330, Apr 19, 2006.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

On May 1st, Hispanic organizations are calling for all Hispanic immigrants in the United States to skip work, and avoid spending money to show their importance to the U.S. economy. This action is an extension of the protests over the immigration legislation. If all immigrant workers do strike a day, around these parts restaurants, landscapers, and a not a few other businesses would be shut down tight. Has anyone discussed this possible no show day with your employees? If your employees do a no-show on May 1; the question probably should be, would your relationship with your employees change for worse afterward? Or would you fire them?
  2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Won't effect my area, but It will be something worth keeping an eye on. What is their reasoning behind all this? Do they think they are being treated unfair?
  3. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Are you referring to legit employees? If the illegals shut down it would surely show the problem we have in a big way. But how would that change anything? The biggest problem we really have is the employers that hire the illegals in the first place. That is what should not be taking place. That's what's messing things up. It's just not possible to compete with a company that does not have the same legal costs as we, the legitimate company's of this country. I could have it made if I could run my business without paying all the cost of having legit employees. Gosh, If I could pay cash without any withholding, insurance, such, there would be no competition in my market on my end. I would have it all! ....
  4. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I wish they would do that for a couple weeks it could help me out in a big way as my calls in another area would probably go up! Maybe they will all migrate back home if they don't like the way they are being treated!
  5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Its kinda like the email abotu not buying gas on one day. Big deal...One dya is not gonna bring us to our knees. Now if they did a strike or a sickout for a week or so, then it would begin to hurt. I'm not going to mention it to my guys and I'll see what happens.....I all my hispanics take the day off, then There will be some issues.....
  6. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I say screw them, let them strike and I hope they all get fired. That would be the big f**k you they deserve. Nothing like trying to strong-arm us into amnesty. "I realize I'm breaking the law and I'm p!ssed that you have the nerve to punish me for it." Try telling that to the judge next time you get a moving violation.

I have a friend that went to live in Mexico for a couple of years. While it was a legal trip, she said it was impossible to get a job because all jobs go to nationals first and foreigners last (righfully so). I realize Mexico is screwed up but do a little research and find out how they treat illegal immigrants.
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Problem is there are too many nationals sucking at the teat of welfare and those who have no desire to perform our kinds of chores.
  8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I just don't understand how these illegal immigrants even get a voice. You're here illegally, shut up and go home and do it the right way if you want to be an American citizen. I say let them not work, then anyone who didn't, ship them back home.

Another thing that pisses me off, why in the heck to we have to start putting their language on stuff. They all need to learn english, not us Americans learn spanish. :usflag:
  9. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

Let them strike, it will show how much we dont need them and maybe people will start to appericate quality work more.
  10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

man does that drive me fing nuts. you can take the NJ driver license test in a crapload of different languages but what good does that do when all the road signs and pretty much everything else is in english.. thats my biggest thing with the whole immigration crap, if you can learn or willing to learn english, be gone...