May be a dumb question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by booboy, Nov 9, 2006.

1. booboy

booboy LawnSite Member

I have some mixed boat gas 50:1 mix for a small outboard. Can I use this in my blowers trimmers to use it up?? I don`t have the outboard anymore and dont know what else to do with it
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You should be ok. Was the oil for air cooled engines or water cooled engines?
  3. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

it'll work but don't use it on a regular, you'll run into problems.
  4. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

You gotta be careful of the mix ratio

50:1 for a Mercury 50hp outboard --- thats cool

50:1 for a weed wacker when the manual calls for 16:1 or a 30:1 She'll start and run probably --- but it'll be a rough start and a rough run!!!
  5. mountain man

mountain man LawnSite Member

We've been running the Super Tech outboard oil(50:1) from Wal-Mart for years in all our red maxes. Never had a problem.
  6. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

It’s not like that is going to ruin your engine, but your engine wont last as long or be at its pull power performance. How much gas is it? I say call the city and dispose of it properly. It’s not like the gas is going to do you any good at this point. Don’t just burn the gas just to burn it.
  7. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

pour it in the tank of your car
  8. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

It shouldn't hurt anything but you probably will not get as much power and performance out of your equipment.:waving:
  9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

My old boss's father in law fixes boats for a living. One time he came by with 40 gallons of mixed fuel. There was no way we could use all that mixed gas so my old boss told us to fill the mowers half full of mixed and then top it off with regular gas. We all thought the mowers were going to smoke and run like crap for the day, but we had no problems. I've even ran 2cycle in the kicker motor just to finish the lawn before going to the gas station.
  10. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

I have run Super tech 2 cycle (boat oil) for years my stuff runs fine. All kawasaki, all at least 3 seasons on it (20-30 hrs week). Make sure as with all 2 cycle equipment you take the screens out of exhaust, they will clog no matter what oil. Make sure the ratio is right or a little rich even.
    As for the comment to put it in your car, GOOD LUCK, you have pollution control sensors? I'm sure a light would come on then you have to pay to have it turned off. Mowers maybe, definatly not somthing with polution control sensors that get inspected.