May be starting sooner

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Greg313, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Greg313

Greg313 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I have a bad feeling today that they are going to be laying off people at my work today so I may be forced to start the business alot sooner than I wanted too if I can't find another job. Ideally I wanted to start full-time in two years but if I have too then I will. Hopefully it's not me but if they are going be seniority then I'm one of the next to go.
    :cry:

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if you loose your job early, you may need to take a part time job along with the lawn care to survive, until you get more established... unless your lucky and have a nice bank account, i do not..:cry:

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry to hear that. Hard way to start as you become desperate and tend to move too fast. Hope it works out

4. Greg313

Greg313 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Thanks guys, this sucks sitting here wondering if I next. I have about two weeks vacation time built up that they have to pay out, also have a few thousand in mutual funds and bonds if worst comes to worst. Good thing I haven't put that wood floor in yet for my wife!!

5. Greg313

Greg313 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

God, I hate when I'm right. It came at 4:30 today. Oh-well...it was time to move on anyways.

6. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

Well, Im Sorry That You Lost Your Job, But Try To Think Of It In A Different Way, Maybe It Was You Kick In The A== You Needed To Get Out There And Work For Yourself??? Good Luck To You And Your New Business!!!!!

7. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah you can look at this in many ways.this could be the motivator to get this baby off the ground.a part time job is good advice if you go into this desperate,you will end up going to cheap and will only come back and bite you on the arse. good luck

8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Sorry to here about your job. Some pretty good advice so far. I want to wish you luck.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Well the timing is actually great...the season's about to get started, but you still have a little time to figure out a game plan for this year. Much better to lose your job now than in late fall. Sooner or later if you want to do this full-time you just have to make the jump. Sort of like having your first baby, the time never seems 'right', but with some planning this could be a blessing for you.

10. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

sorry to hear your bad news. but if it helps any 21 yrs ago when I was planning to start my business I got hired by American Airlines where I had been trying to get on for years. I started my business that year too. work at AA for 10 yrs the last 5yrs it was like working 2 full time jobs. My wife didn't want me to give up the benefits so 11 yrs ago I took 2 weeks vacation time and passed out 10000 flyer's and told my wife when I get my 300th customer I'm putting in my 2 week notice. I have never looked back, I would have been better off never getting the AA job and spent the time building my business instead of somebody else's. This may be a blessing for you in the long run! Hope so, Good luck!