May buy a USED 36" Ferris - looking for advise.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mikestr, Mar 30, 2005.

1. mikestr

mikestr LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I guy in the Sprinkling Area of the business wants to sell me his 36" Ferris Hydro WB mower. It is approx. 8 years old, but he stated that it has been sitting for 5 years or so. He is looking for approx. $800 for it. He did mention that it need a tune up and would cost an additional $200. Any ideas what I should look for when I take a look at it? I am not crazy about buying used equipment, but it has been sitting for a LONG while, but this could be a bad thing too!

What should I look for? Should I just get him to fix it up and buy it already fixed and running?

Me and this guy have done business together, I don;t think he would rip me off and try to sell a lemon!

Thanks in advance.

2. mowerman52

mowerman52 LawnSite Member

I love to buy used equipment. Look it over to make sure no major parts are damaged, and that it looks like it hasn't been abused. Good give aways are bent control rods or other metal parts. I would look over the engine. A very dirty air filter could show that he hasn't done the maintinence. I have to go to class now, but will be back later.

3. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

$200 for a tune up!?! All fluids need to be changed. I would change them without trying to turn it on. The cost of oil should be under $10 for the engine and hydro. I think they both can run off straight 30 weight oil. The oil filters (Engine and hydro) shouldn't be too much money. A spark plug with cost you $3. tops and the air filter can go as high as $15 or so. Fuel filter $2?.... Not sure where he got $200 from but if your really interested in it, ask himif you can work something out where as you buy the tune up parts your self, install them and if you like it afterwards you deduct the cost of parts from his price, If you don't like it he pays you for the cost of tune up parts.
    Oh yeah bring a grease gun so you can grease the spindles.

As far as the mower itself, Ferris makes a great mower. i just sold my 48" this morning and the buyer was very happy. He's been looking for a ferris after using one when he started then switching to Scag and bobcat.

4. mikestr

mikestr LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

Agreed Playboy, I questioned the $200 tuneup as well, unless it needs something more than just a tune up to get it going. I will work out a deal that if it does not work as promised I would let him pay for any MAJOR repairs. The only other thing I can think of it that the carb. is gummed up from sitting for so long and may need to be rebuilt/cleaned out.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am a little surprised Ferris had a hydro 8 years ago? From a sales pitch I got recently it sounded as if this was the first year for the 36" hydro, the 32" is a couple years old?