May cut on liriope

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by guntruck, May 6, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, ive posted this before but didnt get specifics on the lateness of this cut. I have a customer with many many grasses here, she wants them all cut now in the middle of may. I wont have time until the end of may. I told her its probably not the best to cut them back now but she insisits i do it, or she will have someone else do it. What can i expect if i cut em back now to 4" like she wants?

2. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

Rich,it will be fine.The loriope may look ugly for awhile,but if thats whats she wants,so be.Use hand clippers,or your hedge trimmers if you have alot of it.
    Dave

3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah Dave i think im going to use hedge clippers. I have a WHOLE LOT of it, i am just wondering if thats gonna be the most effective method.....any other suggestions? I would love to take a mower to it but its too high now.

4. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

Rich i`ve used a toro set the highest notch,them came back over it with the trimmers......or do you have a bush hog?
    Dave

5. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Alot of this stuff is deep in the gardens and would be hard getting a big mower back to it and we dont use push mowers. I was thinking of using articulating hedge clippers and knocking the majority of it out blowing out the debris and going back in and clean up the straglers?

6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

That should work. Definitely use power trimmers/clippers. You really can't hurt Liriope.