may need 3 million in insurance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Feb 23, 2005.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I talked to a guy earlier today that is in charge of contracting out the lawn mowing for a 15 acre fuel tank farm. We talked for a while and he said that there is some insurance issues and that I would need to be covered for 3 million. I'm calling my insurance agent tomorrow, but I was curious as to about how much this could raise my rate. My bid will reflect any increase but I know some people have talked about getting an unbrella to cover you if something happens. Looks like a good job to, pretty much wide open flat mowing.
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think 3 mil would cover a fuel tank We just raised ours to 2 mil this year, and it went up about 25%. My agent said no to the umbrella clause for site specific. With the increase spread out over all our accounts this year, it's no big deal...
  3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I was surprised that only 3 million was required. Guess if I was to get the job I would definately change to an LLC. My insurance now is $40 per month, If yours only went up 25% my guess is mine would stay at or under $100 a month. Do you think I could lower the coverage at the end of the year? I only cut May-Nov.
  4. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to a guy years ago that was in charge of site maintenance for Hollywood Video. He informed me they had a required minimum liability requirement of like 2 million. He said they simply expected the cost to be included in the bid. And why wouldn't they? If a company wants to minimize their exposure, it comes at a cost - this is how the whole insurance thing works.