May?? too late or not

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by twosecko, May 2, 2007.

1. twosecko

twosecko LawnSite Member

I just started my new business of lawn care service and starting out just wanting bout 5 to 10 yards this year to get my name out there. I have bout two yards and need more.. Do you all think i still can advertise right now and get yards in the first week of May or highly unlikely..?? Help me out with some tips and tell me how i should go bout advertising and gettin these yards, please.. thanks

2. spriallen

spriallen LawnSite Member

I started my LCO in the middle of may 2003 and by the end of the season I had more customers than I wanted. You need to think larger than just 5-10 yards this year. I thought that too in 2003 and wasn't trying and look what happened. It's never too late to advertise. Also, try to land yourself a commercial contract or 2. THINK LARGE:weightlifter: :cool2:

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well ok, it kinda depends how far you want to stick your neck out heh...

There certainly are some you can still get, but it's either early drops from another Lco due to various reasons (not necessarily bad but maybe) and then there's the foot+ tall grass where people swear up and down they need service for the whole season (translation: cut it first time for the regular price) and you take your chances there (they can and will drop you asap after that 1st cut, but some won't).

There are probably a few crap lots and perhaps some nutcases, here this has to do with tolerance, if you can tolerate their insanity then it should be ok, I think we're all a bit insane and so this has to do with that, but there are some insanities I simply can't deal with, others I'm either ok with or I don't see it (which that's ok too).

Then there are some stragglers, some folks whose contract expired, this and that, I don't think 5-10 is too hard to achieve but you'll want to do some heavy advertising and maybe be a little bit picky but don't try and cherry pick all the elite because then I don't think it will happen, I think you can get a few nice lots out of the deal and the rest will likely be around average, so to speak, nothing to frown over just not the latest and greatest.

Personally I wouldn't be picky at all, but there might be the odd one you just can't do, idk...

Hope that helps.

4. JeffW0011

JeffW0011 LawnSite Member

I am a newbie also, but one who has done a lot of reading, research and learning as I go. I rolled out most of my advertising early April. My initial results dissappointed me. However over the last two weeks I am acquiring new business on an almost daily basis. I am currently considering another round of advertising right now. You have two strong markets as far as residential goes, at least I am finding. You have all the working couples who thought they would handle the yard themselves this year. they are now busy and behind and thinking about a lawncare guy. the flyers they received a month ago have already hit the trash....and here you come....you also got the crowd that are unhappy with the guy they hired and looking for a change....i think now is a great time to advertise, especially if you do vacation or one time cuts....i am getting calls about "catch up cuts" that become regulars....i am a believer that a steady and sustained advertising effort year round beats shooting your whole load in March and April like a lot of guys do..

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

No, it's not too late to pick a few lawns. We are still getting calls from people for a variety of reasons. They're tired of cutting their grass, their current guy is not doing a good job or not showing up on time, etc, etc, etc.

6. MOWEMJEFF

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree that a lot of my customers are people who get to mid-May and think they're gonna do it themselves and then they decide it's just not gonna happen and a few others that said it would be a catch-up cut and they liked the service so much they decided to keep me all year. So if they say they want you for the whole year just do a superior job and show them what they'll be getting, if your getting droppe4d after tha first cut chance are they don't think your service is worth the price, so just remember the customer is always right.

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

nah, the customer isn't always right. sometimes they can be unrealistically demanding. not every customer is going to be ideal for your business. in the beginning when growing a business, sometimes you just have to take whatever customers you can get. but that doesn't mean they are always right.

8. twosecko

twosecko LawnSite Member

Well here is the deal... i am goin to be doin this on my own this summer so i don't want to be overwhelmed and get something i can't handle at the moment.. i have noticed certain advertisment is really expensive.. i called some comercial jobs and people told me to place a bid but when i go and check it out where i haven never bidded on large places i really don't know what to price it.. but i'm trying.. don't get me wrong i love money so more the merry...

9. MOWEMJEFF

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

Come on, theoretically speaking here. The lady who used to be my biggest PITA is now my best customer and has since got me 3 more accounts because she knows I put up with her BS many times and now never complains and always rounds up to the nearest whole number when she used to cross out the amount due and state what I did wrong next to it and put in her own price. By the end of the winter she would call me mid storm to say she wouldn't be going out and not to hurry to her house. Remember a little brown on the nose is better then on the clothes!!!

10. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I tend to also pick up quite a few customers after the first week of 90 degree temps. Some people finally come to the relization that they either dont want to or cant cut their lawn any longer.