Maybe a dumb question but.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chrisk, May 20, 2002.

1. chrisk

chrisk LawnSite Member

I am wanting to upgrade equipment as soon as possible.
    My next upgrade will be either a new blower, or a new trimmer.
    My question is "what is money better spent on? The best trimmer I can afford or the best blower? I would think money is better spent on a good trimmer but I could be wrong.

Can I get by with a cheapo homelite, or craftsman trimmer for a year?

Thanks guys
    Chris

2. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, I think this is a very good question, and not an easy one to answer. It comes down to what you have now. Between a string trimmer and a blower I would probably upgrade the trimmer first (many, many more uses on the job), but it would depend on the condition of your current blower! :D

If you have a sputtering blower, and a homelite in good operating condition, you'll have to replace that blower anyway. You can get by with lesser equipment for a while but you can't get by with dying equipment.

All things being equal, however, I'd upgrade my string trimmer first. ;)

3. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I would buy a good trimmer. You can always get buy with a cheap hand held blower. I would never buy a cheap trimmer.

4. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

buy the trimmer first find your local shindaiwa dealer and go in and ask for the t-2500 c4 technology. Truly awesome piece of equiment.
    good luck
    bryan

5. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

My shiny bp blower was well worth the money for the amount of time I saved doing clean-ups. As for trimmers I have 3 homelite's. Throw them out after about 2 years. Only cost around 80 bucks. Don't have tons of trimming to do and don't see where a commercial trimmer would save me much more time.

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Scott's Turff. A good Back Pack Blower will do you better then a commercial Trimmer. I have always used Comercial trimmers from day one, But they are not really needed to do every day trimming unless you have alot of areas with heavy growth that you can not get to with your mower. If you can afford both, then look into an Echo SRM2100 Trimmer. Around here they are just under $200 and will do just fine for weekly trimming at residential Properties. But as for as a blower goes, You will be best off buying a Back pack for Fall/Spring clean ups. If you just want a hand held then yes a cheap one will work for blowing grass off of hardscapes. Personally I wouldn't be seen with any of the cheapo home owner equipment, but they will get the job done.

Soupy

7. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing wrong with Homelite,cheap(1/2 the price of other brands here),light,parts cheap if they ever need fixing,its all I use.:blob3:

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

It would depend on your current situation, but here is my opinion.

A comm'l trimmer is used 10 times more than a blower. You may be trimming for 20 minutes each stop but the blower is only running 5 minutes. Which one will take the most abuse?

Only in leaf season does a blower take abuse. The life of a blower during grass season is an easy job.

9. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I think it would be different for each person. But in may case I would get a backpack.

10. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Homelite may be cheap and light, but they are just short enough to give me a backache from H---. And I am not that tall either. I love my Redmax equip. Easy to start, run strong.
    For around $800 you could have a new Redmax trimmer and back pak blower. Money well spent in my opinion.