Maybe a dumb question!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Randy Scott, Jan 1, 2001.

1. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it necessary to tie a zero turn rider down when trailering it? I have an enclosed trailer and just wondering if it will stay put. I don't think it will be to packed in when everything is in there. I don't have the trailer all laid out yet. I know it wouldn't hurt to tie it down, but is it necessary? Thanks.
  2. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Does it have a parking brake? If so, just make sure that it is adjusted right.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It's a good idea to tie them down in case of an accident or severe breaking to prevent an accident. I have a parking break, but I still use the parking break and chock blocks in front and behind the back wheels, plus I tie them down when on the road. If I'm just driving a block, I just use the parking break.

Just because you have a parking break doesn't mean it won't move. Just the bounce of the trailer will make them move around even though the wheels aren't turning. I've heard of guys that had them moving around on their trailers and kept adjusting the parking break tighter until they break the brake cable, thinking it wasn't tight enough since the machine was moving.

I hope this helps.
  4. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I do the same as Eric with my Choppers and Walker. I also use 2X4's nailed into the floor that outline the back wheels, this really helps to keep them in place.

5. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

To be honest we use parking break only and walk behinds leave in gear....they do bounce some but the weight of the turf tigher is appx 1300lbs and having a dual axle trailer helps out a lot vs single. I guess the safest thing is to tie down...If you are going some distance...but I will admit that our route is probably all in a seven mile radius from home base.
  6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that sounds like a profitable route!!!
  7. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Well yes and no.....we are in a small town in Southern Indiana where it seems that a new LCO pops up daily...but yes I break up the route into sections of town into quarters lucky home base is almost in the middle of town. There are days we go maybe only three miles and seems once you pick up one in a neighborhood you pick up several...same with commercial..all seem to be on the "main drag" we have only one....I couldnt even begin to think about having a route in a big town however i am sure the chance to grow a bigger buisness is better in larger towns. We do have several towns within 15 to 20 miles from us we are thinking about going into.
  8. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 6x12 open trailer and always ratchet strap my walkbehinds down , but have seen alot of people not strap them in. It only takes a minute to strap down the the mower as it would take alot longer if one those mowers flew off the trailer and got into the road , that would be bad and I would probley not be able to make any money the rest of the day or week . But thats just my 2 cents
  9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I just use the parking brake for my ZTR's. They might move a little bit on a bumpy road, but for the most part they stay put.
  10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

My Chopper fits so tightly on my 5.5x9 foot trailor that it doesn't really move at all. I know on my Encore ZTR I broke the parking brake a couple of times because of it hopping around.