Maybe a stupid question but...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jlohouston, Jun 26, 2006.

1. jlohouston

jlohouston LawnSite Member

How often do you shapren your blades on your mowers?

Every ______ days, weeks, months or

Every ______ hours?

Thanks
    Jimmy

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

when they need it

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

omg do a search, this has been discussed extensively, I'm not in the mood to get into it again but the threads on this generally go on for pages and pages so there is no shortage of information on this subject Lol.

4. jlohouston

jlohouston LawnSite Member

sorry some of us haven't been on here for 4 yrs.... I did find an ass load of them tho.... thanks...

The reason I asked was because on my nice lawns they cut fine... some of my country homes where there may be more weeds and different kinds of grasses they half cut?

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We sharpen them every 35 hours or about weekly. We are cutting same type of grass. The good quality Scag blades go a little longer. We change oil and blades at the same time.

6. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

I have the same problem. My mower doesn't cut clover or weeds worth a hoot. On grass, it rocks!

7. tonyday

tonyday LawnSite Member

here is a secret my grandfather told me. when youse sharpin ur blades don't make them too sharp cuz that wears them quicker. He had a 36" eXmark walkbehind which he used to cut 8 acres. every 3 to 4 years he'd sharpen the blades. still had a great cut even after 3 years of dull blades. think about that eh.

8. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't quite make sense, or does it? Since i've got a little chunk of time on my hands---------------let's make a scale :waving: !!!!!

We'll use numbers 1-10, (10) being the sharpest and (1) being the dullest.

You claim that if you don't sharpen the blades too much when you do sharpen them(we'll assume a 7 on the scale) that consequentially they'll dull more slowly. As I see it is a bit like a pair of football cleats. The less surface area (or sharper) the blades are on the cuttign surface, the better job they will do. But in turn, they will dull more quickly because they are put under a heavier workload. A gym shoe doesn't wear down all that quickly, but a sports cleat with soles made of the same material would wear down very very quickly on the same surfaces. I think that the duller your blades are, the longer it takes to increase their dullness, because of course , as they become duller- the surface area increases. I suppose most of the 3 years you're running around with a sharpness somewhere between 5.5 and 2, but they still gave you a satisfactory cut. I spose' that at 18,000 fpm it doesn't take much to separate a .05 inch fiber. Took a little while to portray but that's JMO.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I change the blades every other day, sometimes every third day if the growth is light. Normally after 2 days the cut is still fine but I like to change them before the cut quality starts to decline.

10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I sharpen mine everyday. Bahai grass dulls them in a hurry.