Maybe im crazy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToroLandscaper, Apr 11, 2006.

1. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok i have been out on the mower a couple times and it smells almost like it is getting hot i ALWAYS have it greased everyday check the oil...change the oil regularly and blow all grass/leaves off of it after every time i use it...what could it be

O yeah its a 52" Toro Z with a 27Hp Kohler engine

Any help would be awesome
  2. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

Is this a new machine or have you owned/ used it for awhile ?
    It may just be a characteristic of the unit. As long as the machine functions properly it may be nothing to worry about. It sounds like you are following good maintenance procedures ( greasing bearings, cleaning, etc.). Just for the heck of it, try running the machine without hearing protectors and listen for any out of the ordinary sounds. I do this occasionally. Sometimes the ears pick up something the eyes and nose miss.
  3. ToroLandscaper

The unit only has about 100-110 hours on it....the only thing i ever hear is when i turn off the blades its almost like a squeeking noise...ask my dad he said he thought it was just the thing that slows the blade down..i took a look at it and believe the same thing
  4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Is it a smell like the belt might be getting hot? Make sure you belt is aligned right with the guides and pulleys. Might not be it but it is a thought.

5. ToroLandscaper

I thought about that but i took a look and looks like the belts are in good shape and all were they should smells like its coming from the engine....idk maybe im just loosing my mind but im EXTREMELY picky about my equipment and really like to have everything going/runnin like it should
  6. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

It probably just everthing getting going and slowing down, mine does it especially when the mowers cold. I saw a guy at the toro dealer the other day and he was driving it around and turned on the blades and the loudest screach came out so he immediatly shut it down the the guy was like what was that and the salesman was like ohh its normal keep going. and the guy was like allright I think ill keep shopping somewere else and he left....
  7. ToroLandscaper

Yeah i dont know whats goin on it just started doin it like a couple days ago...i mite spray some WD40 or fluid film on it and see if the screeching doesnt do it when its turning on just when the blades are slowing down
  8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Hmmm... Did you find out where the screeching is coming from? I would take it to the dealer because that isn't right. Mine doesn't screech at all.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When the electric clutch is new and adjusted close they will make a squeal. When the unit is off you can rotate the blade belt and feel the drag from the clutch.