Maybe there's hope after all...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jul 28, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Was at a site doing some R&D as to how we were going to put irrigation back together due to a portable building and its foundation being removed when I was approached by the site guy. He said that he'd noticed a new (3 months old) sidewalk was getting stains on it from the irrigation and asked if I could look at it. Since I already had that system's controller on the remote I fired up the suspect zone and water came gushing out from every crack within a minute.

At about the same time the director over Operations/Maintenance just happened to come around a corner and witness the problem. He asked me how this could of occurred and I advised him that the sidewalk installation was never coordinated through our department and this was the first I'd known about the problem. Since then (three days ago) I have received personally four emails from this director regarding asphalt and concrete projects that will be undertaken prior to schools starting up on August 17th. He now believes that there is no reason that the "irrigation guys" should be cut out of the loop because they now fear that foundations may be undermined if problems like this keep happening. We'll see what happens and how long this lasts. :)

Pinkham Zone B-15 Concrete Leak IV-01.jpg

Pinkham Zone B-15 Concrete Leak IV-02.jpg

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch!! Well you got the ball rolling. Good job. (was that a compliment from me?:laugh: )

3. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

...holding breath...

4. PurpHaze

Why... thank you very much Mr. Dana. :)

I got two more "utlities locates" today so maybe the ball is going to roll downhill and run me over? :)

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes! Your gonna be running with both feet on the ground for at least 17 days or so. This is a real real good thing Purp!

6. PurpHaze

Ouch... Schools start up again Aug. 17th.

7. Now, wasn't this a prior problem for you at another site last year or was that the year before at a remodel job where the parking lot caved in due to a main line failure?

By the way, still see that you survived our past combo heat and humidity wave. Now it's only 90+ degree days to contend with.

8. PurpHaze

Same problem, diifferent site. :)

The heat up your way was brutal. I had the plate for a 1:00 pm game on that Saturday that broke all records. Two players had to leave the game due to heat and I didn't make it past the middle of the fourth inning before having to have a backup umpire step in. Even he had problems completing the game. Did I say it was brutal?

9. Well at least one positive thing about the heat wave, I lost 7 pounds worth of water that was in my body:hammerhead:

10. PurpHaze

I couldn't keep enough liquids in me that day. There was more sweat output than water/Gatorade input although it seemed that I had a bottle in my hand most of the time.

Not irrigation related but here's a picture from that afternoon.

Sacramento Plate IV-01.jpg