1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

mb not mulching well

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mesome5, Nov 23, 2012.

1. mesome5

mesome5 LawnSite Member

I have a new walker mb with the mulch/side discharge. When mulching it leaves a stripe of clippings up the centre. Any hints of how to stop this issue?

2. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I don't have a Walker but my Turf Tiger will do the same thing if one of two things happens.
    1) Ground speed is too fast, which causes too many leaves under the deck, and doesn't allow for everything to properly flow through the deck and get processed. Depending on how much ground coverage there is will reflect how fast I can drive the mower.
    2) Underneath deck needs to be cleaned. Usually when mud/grass builds up in certain locations it will prevent the debris from flowing through the deck and being processed like normal.

3. joemower

joemower LawnSite Member

I agree with CTmower's suggestions. I do have a couple of MB's myself. Really a nice machine. I do however run the 48" ML decks(http://www.walkermowers.com/images/curve7.png) on them year round with great results. I have never been in favor of using much kits to make a deck designed to side discharge to mulch. They just don't perform as well as a true mulching deck. Luckily with the Walker you have the option to switch the deck to fit your needs. I would highly recommend investing in the mulch deck if you could afford to do so.

4. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

Make sure all of the mulching baffles are in place where they are suppose to be. Even though you have one of the smaller models ground speed shouldn't be an issue with the Walker as they aren't "fast".

Are the blades properly sharp and the right size?

-Michael

5. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Not to mention are they correct blades? And sharpened to the correct angle? Or pretty close.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe should have bought the mulch deck:hammerhead:

7. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

He either had the deck and wanted to mulch without buying a new deck or wanting to be versatile without having 2 decks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is why we bought the Scag Cougar 10 years ago. One deck does all three things.

9. jeannewyatt

jeannewyatt LawnSite Member

Try running the flat mulching blades in conjunction with the current blades. That is how my milchung deck is set up and it mulches great.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. mesome5

mesome5 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I have brand new mulch blades top and bottom. The deck is a 2 in 1. I need the both options.