1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

McClane mower for putting greens

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greens, Feb 13, 2002.

1. greens

greens LawnSite Member

One of my older clients gave me this old McClane mower meant for cutting putting greens. So, I fixed it up and got it running good. I wan't to sell it now but don't know what it is worth. Is anyone out there familiar with these mowers? thanx
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I bought one last year for $400, it was like new still under warranty. Here it is:

mclane mower.jpg
  3. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

just curious........do you use this mower in your biz? What applications? I'll bet it leaves a beautiful cut.
  4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Kirby do you need another one of those ? I have a customer that is getting rid of his same brand...looks just like it just MANY years older its in decent shape...still works just not need for it you want it ? Make offer if not ok .
  5. KirbysLawn

Martino, I have planned on marketing Bermuda & Zoysia lawns this spring. I have full color flyers made and ready but due to injuring my shoulder I have it on hold until after I have surgery.:cry:

Bunton Guy, check your PM for my phone number.
  6. King City Lawns

King City Lawns LawnSite Member

I have been thinking very hard about buyng a reel mower for exactly the same nreason. What is the range of cut?? have you used it much??? Do you have a lot of problems with stcks? I grew up working on golf courses so I know the kind of cut a ggod reel mower will provide, how about that one? I am thinking about something larger, like maybe a tee mower. They have bigger reels and bigger bedknives. I think they will hold out better most of the lawns around here are pretty good sized need a rider.
  7. greens

greens LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply Kirby! If you only paid $400 for one that new, the one I have probably isn't worth all that much. Unless it's antique. I live in Washington so the only grass you would cut with this sort of mower is on a golf course or a personal backyard green. :cool:
  8. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

You're better off with a Cal-Trim or a Tru-Cut that Mclaine is from Home Depot. You'll kill it- it is a good way in though, test the waters:)
    Do you have rocks where you live?
  9. KirbysLawn

I looked at Tru-Cut but too much $$ to start out, you are exactly right, I am testing the waters with this one and if things work out I will invest in a better machine. The guy I bought this mower from was selling it after buying a Tru-Cut, he showed it to me, what a machine!
  10. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

You dudes have really flipped.

I mow greens every day and believe me you are peeing straight up a rope with this idea. That mower isn't going to cut very well on any height over a half inch. Do you really want to cut lawns at a half inch? And throw speed out the window for good. You might be able to sell this unit to a golf course but I doubt it. By the way, it needs a bucket for clippings.

If you really want to mow with a reel mower then look at a "National" 84" trim mower. They are used for mowing rough and they do a nice job but you won't do a lot of striping as they are slow to get turned around. A good used one will run you $2,500.