Mcculloch backpack blower won't stay running

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by thoakes3, Feb 28, 2005.

1. thoakes3

thoakes3 LawnSite Member

hi guys, 1st post. i have a question. i have a mcculloch backpack blower and it will run for a little while but will not blow hard at all. i've changed the spark plug but it isn't any better. i have had the blower about 2 years and have only used it at my own home and 1 other yard. do you guys have any suggestions as to what may be wrong? or should i put it in the shop?
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

try a fuel filter next
  3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

and after that exhaust screen
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Your throttle cable may be out of adjustment and not opening it up all the way.

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

i bet the exhaust is plugged. that's where i would go first.
  6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If you cant fix it yourself, dont take it to a repair shop. The repair is likely to cost more than what a two year old machine is worth. Put the money toward a blower that you can get some years out of like a Redmax, Shindaiwa,Echo, Stihl etc.
  7. thoakes3

thoakes3 LawnSite Member

thanks for all of the replies. i'm gonna check it tonight and see. thanks again!
  8. big-bill3

big-bill3 LawnSite Member
    from UK

Hi all, I have a smilar problem
    the McCulloch Blower Vac as the UK calls them will only run temperamentally on half choke.
    I have cleaned out the exhaust.
    What plug is it and what size spanner is needed?
    I have tried to clean the carb once. Any more ideas?
  9. big-bill3

big-bill3 LawnSite Member
    from UK

sorry me again.
    the other question I have is that there are two pipes between the carb and the tank. When I removed the carb last time i forgot to note which way round they went. One is a larger pipe than the other. Which way round do they go?

10. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

check the carb and air filter. Also check all of your fuel lines and fuel filter. When I started out 5 years ago I looked into the same back pack blower but when I tried it out I was not pleased. Look into a good quality commercial unit with at least a 60cc engine.