McCulloch throttle cable

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Diannej, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Diannej

Diannej LawnSite Member

hi, I bought a McCulloch weedeater at a yard sale last year. It worked great until I broke the throttle cable. I ordered a new one from a aftermarket and have the weedeater torn apart and cant figure out how this cable feeds through the housing of the weedeater. I have it hooked up to the carburetor and need to feed it through to the trigger switch and not sure how it goes. It is Model # FR-44. Can U help,
    I dont want to break this one it took me 3 months to finally get it. Thanks diannej :eek:

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't intend for this to be interpreted as mean, but we have a special name for Mc Culloch equipment: junk. In reference to your question, there should be an opening along where the original cable was routed through the shroud.

When a trimmer such as a Homelite, Craftsman, Mc Culloch, Weed Eater or some other cheap brand breaks, in most cases it is not worth the trouble to repair it. You'd be better off getting a new good brand trimmer such as a Stihl, Echo, or Dolmar. Any of those will outlast and outcut the cheapos by a factor of 10 or more.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

you will need to take the trigger assembly apart, there should be a barrel on one end of the cable and a "Z" bend on the other. The barrel end fits in the lever side and the Z bend is what fits to the carb, just route the cable like it was and you should be set.