1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

McDonnalds mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by plow kid, Apr 8, 2001.

1. plow kid

plow kid Banned

McDonnalds Red,
    Everybody wants it, and in my opinion it looks like schitt.
    the dye gets on everything, your hands, truck/trailer, tools, the lawn and driveway, and it floats around when it rains heavy. But it seems like the hottest thing around here, the local supply yard is moving 100+ yards a week right now :eek: , is it taking off by anyone else?

2. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Oh yes its the in thing.....next year it will be blue! They started to use it in some of he uppercrust homes around here now all the jones's want to be like the other jones's!
    I dont push it but people will ask then I have to use it.
    It is a considerable amount more /yd but that dont stop anyone around here!?@#?@#?

If ya couldn't tell I dislike it too!!!!
    Peace!

3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you plow kid. A bed needs red mulch like a lawn needs a pink flamingo.
    Jim L

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes,

It is absolutely horrible. My favorite is when they build a brand new, red brick commericial building, and then put that red junk in all of the beds around it. It is just very unnatural.

For some reason, I can see in a couple of years a study coming out that says the dyes used to make the stuff contain cancer causing fibers and kids playing in it have brain tumors . That would be about how things go in this world.

steveair

5. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

The best way to rid this ugly stuff is to claim that it causes global warming. Or, maybe we can say it was developed by Republican operatives. It seems most claims aren't based on real science anymore, so I think we could get away with this. :)

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

it was a big hit around here a few years ago, but people are finally realizing spruce color is better. most people are switching back to the normal stuff. hopefully this wave of mulch color is heading your way and the red will die out.

7. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

We have it all here red, black, cocoa, blue ,and purple after seeing the blue and purple red doesnt seem that bad anymore.

8. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

It's just like those tackier than crap icicle lights people put on their houses and never take down. Everybody thinks they have to have them.

9. plow kid

plow kid Banned

Blue? :eek: ...... Purple? :eek: ......... You will never see that crap in any of the trucks that I have.

Another thing that is taking off is Cedar mulch it is suposed to last 5+yrs and is 52 bucks a yard

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Here the big thing at D&D, Mickey D's etc is chipped pallets dyed red, suppose its so the cigarette butts will filter thru and be hidden lol.