McLain Edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DTM65, Apr 7, 2000.

1. DTM65

DTM65 LawnSite Member

I have been reading the posts over the past couple of months regarding edgers and have decided to get a push behind. I was in Home Depot this evening and to my suprise they had a McLain edger for $327. It had the 3.5 HP Industrial B&S, on/off switch, dual adjustable front wheels, and the blade would adjust from a -20 degree camber to a +90 degree camber.<p>McLain. Good machine?<br>$327. Good price?<p>Thanks,<p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

edgers are very simple machines..... most have the sAME dam briggs i/c engine. there is not much to break on them other than the engine so i would just buy the cheapest mtd you can find. i bought a 400 dollar little wander last spring and have maybe put a total of 20 hours on it at most.....i only use it for the first edge of the spring for all my lawns. the rest of the year i use my string trimmer to edge! i really regret spending 400 bucks on a edger that i use the last week in march than not again till the next march. like i said.... i could of gotten a cheapo with the same engine as my expensive one and it probly would last me just as long!

3. MowerUp

MowerUp LawnSite Member
    from NC

You might want to look at Sears. They have good push behind edgers.<br>I believe some of theirs is cheaper than that.<br>

4. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

is there an economical advantage to owning a machine you will use only 1 time per property?<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

5. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

DTM65<p>Ask them if they will match prices? 1-877-367-8776 (Russo Power Equipment) will give you a price of $249.99 for 3.5 HP B&S McLane edger. Won't cost a dime to ask. Good Luck!

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

One of my customers gave me one of those Craftsman edgers about six months ago. He had used it about 3 hours total over two years. I tried to use it when we had a stick edger down, kinda hard to get used to after the stick edger.

7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you want a McLane Edger?<p>3.5 hp - power the belt takes = 2.5 hp. A stick edger has 1.5-2.0 hp. Is lighter, more versatile and costs less.<p>A McLane or any wheeled edger is like a push reel mower: Had is value and now belongs in a museum.

8. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

I'VE GOT A MCLANE,I THINK THE ENGINE WILL BE BETTER ON MY KIDS GO-CART.IT'LL GET MORE USE!(NO KIDDING)<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

9. DTM65

DTM65 LawnSite Member

OK guy, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like maybe I'm headin' the wrong direction with a walk-behind edger. I'm gonna go look at some stick edgers today. <p>I have not edged at all as of yet. Will a stick edger have the power to get through the first time?<p>Thanks,<p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

They have enough power, but it will take a little while to do. Look to the bigger engine machines, not the entry level.