McLane edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Redd, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Redd

Redd LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Has anyone seen mclane edgers at HD or Lowes lately? Mclane web says both sell them, but no employees there know?
  2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe its to early and they don't have the spring stock out yet.I bought a Mclane at HD in the past.
  3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Don't get a walk behind edger. Their a pain in the ass to use. I have one. I'm getting a stick edger when the season starts up.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ive seen them there, only carried spring summer and beginning of fall.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Our home depot used to stock them as well. For whatever reason they don't stock them, but you CAN order one from them. I had to go thru 3 different people in the store just to find that out. I didn't want to wait for it so like an idiot I ran to sears and threw away my 400 bucks on one there. It's nice, but fragile and breaks easy.

Push edgers do have their place. If you are wanting it for weekly work everywhere, get a stick edger. But for breaking new edges and for 1,000 foot long sidewalks a walkbehind can't be beat.
  6. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my McLane edger at Home Depot this past April and I wouldn't choose another brand. I've had Craftsman models, Black & Decker models, but the McLane edger is the best I've had yet. It looks EXACTLY like the one my grandfather gave me, from the 70s, and STILL works. This edger is EXACTLY what I'd want to purchase for new edgings, bi-monthly edgings, or long walks. And yes, like the others said, they're only there spring, summer, and part of fall.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I just wanted to concur with everything that is written in the above thread. I have several posts on here regarding the same things with these edgers. ESPECIALLY that they ARE worth owning for edging. You're not going going to TOUCH a 10 acre complex with a stick edger efficiently. It woukld wear you out. Also, you can give UP doing initial edges with them, I don't care WHAT stick edger you have. I own the Stihl straight shaft, and I STILL grab my wheeled edger for the initials. Much faster,..and much easier to use.
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Well said Joe, I have some properties that have a ton of edging and it is so much easier to push an edger than to tote one for a long time. I have 3 types and each has there own place, wheeled , stick , and edgit.

9. Redd

Redd LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i know you were able to get them at HD at one time, but i have not seen them in stores or on HD website one at the stores around here know anything of them....and i called mclane and they were absolutely NO HELP..their only reply is that the store has to call them for ordering info...what?