Mclaren Rubber tracks for Skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by racetra, Aug 6, 2006.

1. racetra

racetra LawnSite Member

Howdy all,
    I just found this forum...Very cool!.
    I have a Bobcat 863 that I was gonna sell and replace it with a track machine. Problem is, their like $45K for a new one. I just saw the Mclaren rubber tracks and watched the video and was impressed. Has anyone used these. I don't have a lot of clearance between the boom and the tire when the boom is all the way down. Any info would be great.

2. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well i was going to trade mine for a rubber track but the wanted 20k and my machine(close to new). and the mclarian tracks are 15k. so i spent 2k and got steal tracks

i am happy

3. racetra

racetra LawnSite Member

I have seen the rubber traCKS FOR $3200ish. I also really like my 863. Lots of power

4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you are thinking of logering VTS track that are 15k.

Just trade the 863 in on a nice used T200.

5. racetra

racetra LawnSite Member

I was lookin but pretty much all the used machines I saw looked like they were rode hard. All were mostly in the mid west where as you know the conditions are much more severe than they are here in Ca.

6. badranman

badranman LawnSite Member

If you find a used machine, call the dealer and ask for a price for a complete undercarriage. You'll have an idea of what you're faced with when it's time to replace. I had the same dilema. I decided on the solideal over the tire tracks. About $3500.00 Cdn here. Alot cheaper then dedicated tracks and we can take them off and use tires when the need for tracks isn't there.

7. racetra

racetra LawnSite Member

So, how are they working? I have seen a couple of not so good comments on those tracks. How are yours wearing? I am probably gonna order the Mclaren rubber tracks tomorrow. I guess I will be the guini-Pig for these....We'll see!

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Now are you talking about the 100% rubber track or a steel track with rubber pads? Either way, the steel's with pads are bombproof and I've heard that the solid rubber tracks are fine as well as long as you don't get too crazy with the machine making turns.

9. badranman

badranman LawnSite Member

Well, the Solideal tracks have performed good with a bit of chunking. I'm talking pieces the size of teaspoons. Yes, these are the solid rubber tracks. We're careful to treat them right and not do crazy a$$ things with them installed. Only had them off once and I think it took us about 1/2 hr to do both, same to put them on. The tires don't show any adverse wear. We've rented tracked machines before and I'd say our machine performs about 80% as good. Tracked machine seems to have more flotation and be better balanced. our tracks seem to clean the insides better so we don't drag as much mud onto driveways like the tracked machines we've had. All in all they've served us quite well for the money. This year has been especially wet for us. i would've spent more than their costs in tracked machine rentals. I just can't justify the cost of a dedicated tracked machine when we only need it 10-20% of the year.

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It says a lot that you analyzed your need for track and made the appropriate decision. Many guys are buying a dedicated tracked machine for less than 20 percent of the jobs they do. There are guys are around here who have bought them for the 1 month a year it is actually muddy. I predict that the sale of tracked machines will stablize as prior owners trade back to tired machines. Certianly not all of them but I think many will. Mainly the ones who shouldn't have had one in the first place.