McLarren tracks arrived

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mini man, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

My over the tire Mclarren tracks came on friday for my Cat 262.
    I got the ones with the rubber on them.
    I forgot to ask my sales rep about HP.....do these tracks rob a signifigant amount of horsepower from my machine?
    Also is the float funtction noticably different due to the fact I will be sitting a little higher on the tracks?
    Thanks
    :canadaflag:
    The shipping to Canada was seamless I must say!

2. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

You will have to angle your bucket a little more now because of the height difference but it is not bad. As far as power I never noticed a loss it almost felt like a gain to me because I wasn't breaking traction as often then before the tracks were on the machine. And you will notice a little bit better flotation but not a whole lot. They mainly give you better traction to get through the muddy situations. Just be careful not to let any big rocks fall between each tire or else you will jam it between the track and tire and it is never good.

3. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

I got them for use in doing septics mainly ....the sand is what I need to float in.

4. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Oh well you will do much better in sand with them then you would ever do with just tires. You will enjoy them.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

There is no doubt it takes more power to turn a set of steel tracks than tires. On a machine the size of the 262 you will still have power to work with in heavy material (clay, mud). Your bucket may or may not be big enough to cover your tracks depending on the width of the tracks and the machine.