McMansion slums

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Aug 20, 2010.

1. They were great for the service business. Had a slew of McMansion customers. Maybe the new smaller style will leave a little more money for decent irrigation systems. What to do with all those McMansions though. Can they be scrapped into a smaller home?
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/38757287/

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

No, people eventually buy them and they almost always change the landscaping which changes the design of the irrigation system... also good for service.

I feel the economy getting better. This has been a very good year for me. :)

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Best yr in 5 yrs here. Unemployment is 5.3 % here.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Great year for me too. Maybe I'll trade up and buy a McMansion.

I love the McMansions that are slammed so close together, with about 6'-10' between them. I prefer my modest home in the woods. Hell I barely use the finished basement as it is, except to warehouse the backpack inventory. Never understood the huge home movement.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Moved a backflow and mainline last week for a customer doing an addition. House was already 3400 sq ft + a finished basement. Asked him " how many people in the house" he answered , " me and the wife"

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. See it all the time. What 2 person family needs a 5000+ sq ft home? Extra utilities, extra cleaning, extra taxes. I guess it would give ya more rooms to get your groove on.

More land, less home is what I'm after. Only 0.5 acre here at the homestead, but I'd really like more land for my dogs to roam.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Looked at 1 last with with 2.5 acres. Too bad it was built by a moron. 25 yrs old and sagging.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I just looked up online at the county records site for a home of one customer. 8300'+ and they are currently adding on. Doesn't include the 5 car garage or the barn with their car collection. Huge indoor swimming pool. Mediocre sprinkler system.

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

dropped to 15.1% in may with the census and stimulus jobs, headed back up in july.

it will get better but i think the bottom is still yet to be seen.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I bought my house from a guy who builds homes. Too bad it was the first house he built. :) Next week we are re-doing all or part of the deck, that he built with nails, not screws. Now everything is coming up or pulling apart. Basement floor was not level, which I found out when I installed laminate flooring. Walls are crooked in areas. Pencil marks on the trim boards where they were cut (might do a new trim package this winter). And lots of other little things that I keep finding.