MD, DC, VA Folks RFP For Cemetery on Wisconsin Ave

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MarcSmith, Apr 27, 2007.

1. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

FYI

Our current Lawn care provider at Holy Rood Cemetery, located at 2128 Wisconsin Ave NW, has increased his pricing substantially (more than 50%) for this year. So we are going to be seeking bids for the maintenance of the site. Maintenance would begin in April 2008.

If You are interested in bidding on this, getting further information or looking at the site, please let me know.

I realize thats its early in the season to be seeking out bids for stuff for next year, I just don't want to get caught with my pants down and forget about it.

Thanks

Marc

mjs82@georgetown.edu

2. MarcSmith

Hi folks

Id like to have a site meeting at Holy Rood Cemetery on Thursday June 21 @ 10 am. I will arrive around 9:30 and open the gates so that way you can park in the cemetery and not on the street.

I figured 10 am gives everyone a chance to get their crews out and gives rush hour a chance to fade away.

Please RSVP to let me know if you are coming or not. I can reschedule a second date if needed. 202 687 0153 or my email mjs82@georgetown.edu

The cemetery is always open to foot traffic so you can do your own walk through for take-off purposes any time.

2128 Wisconsin Ave NW, Washington, DC 20007

Regards

3. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the current prise? I am over a hour away but have been thinking of expanding in that direction just don't want to waste time on small stuff

4. MarcSmith

What point would it be for me to disclose the current price? That sort of defeats the purpose of the "competitive bid process".

the cemtary is about 4-5 acres with 75% filled with markers of varying shapes and sizes. if you feel its worth your time to drive down and take a look feel free You need not be at the meeting to put in a bid, after the meeting I will make available through email or fax our requirements and scope of work. That way once you visit the site you can put together a bid.

A site visit is not mandatory but highly reccomended. I am available for a site meeting at other times as well....

I have attached a satelite image for you...ignore the secondary boxes the boundries are pretty much trees lines and the streets

hr.jpg

5. cutbetterthanyou

6. MarcSmith

thats generaly refered as lowballing....Its quite possible that even with the current price increase that we have, it still may be the best price, we don't know. But ther are other things we would like done that the current contractor does not want to do and theya re things that I don't want to have to do Like keeping weeds out of the road, cutting back brush as it tries to come through the fence, ect...

So even if I give you the price, which I won't, it will be of little use to you. Every company has their own differing amonts of overhead and different percentages of profit that they find acceptable. Why let someone else set your prices.

When I put bids out, whether it for plants, equipment or installations, I expect the vendor to provide me with their best price and service based on the scope of work, products, ect. I don't play the "Can I get the last look" games. If a vendor is not willing to provide me with their best price all the time, I don't think we'd work well together.

Three years ago I bid out my bulb order (60,000 bulbs). My supplier then gave me their price(about the same as the previous years) and another supplier came in 8 grand cheaper. When I confronted my supplier about the huge price difference they said they'd match the lower price. I told them, that they had their chance to provide me with the best price and they failed to do so. So now I have a new supplier. I don't like burning bridges like that but I feel if you are not prepared to offer your best price all the time call me when you are and then we talk some more.

Am I price shopping....a bit, but like any other company ther is a happy medium between price and quality that I can live with.

there are approximately 4000 stones...

7. cutbetterthanyou

I think you have me all wrong I am not saying I am going to lowball this place . If you read post #3 I am just more less lookin to see if it worth my time before i come look at it. Like you said before everyone's overhead is different everyone can do it for a different prise I understand that to. The main reason i asked is last year I bid a place just like yours the winner was 280 a cut, and there were bids as high as 2,700 a cut. I thought the prise should be around 800. If you were to tell me the current prise was 8-900 or above i would consider looking at it, and placing my bid. If you are only at 2-300 there is no point in me driving 2 hrs to put a bid in on a place ,that i know before i get there, i am not going to get. My only concern was that if someone doubed there prise in a year how underbid was it before, and is it still underbid ? I am not saying I will underbid, I am just very busy in the summer and didn't want to waste time and gas if it is unnecessary

8. MarcSmith

I understand your predicament, however, I will not reveal the current price to you or any of the other contractors who will bidding the property.

Part of getting work in new areas sometimes requires sacrifices and spending time and money in that endeavor. If you feel that a two hour round trip to bid on 4-5 acres of contract mowing plus other supplemental work on site is a waste of time, that is your perogotive and your desicion as a business owner.

If you feel that its a waste of your time, imagine how you'll feel when you have truck loaded with men and equipment and your drive an hour only to get rained out or have a breakdown that sends you home early.

If you had a 5 acre estate to cut, how far would you drive to cut that grass on a regular basis? Now what if that 5 acre estate had 4000 trees that you had to string trim and mow around....Now how far woudl your drive. Your time spent on the job probably tripled with the extra trimming and as such you make more money since your estimate is based on X amount for X amount of estimated man hours.

Look I'm not tryingto be hard ass here or penny pinch or tell you how to run your business. But with all the information I've provided so far, you should be able to formulate the begining of an estimate to figure out if its worth your time or not to come take a look.

Is the work underbid. I don't think so. The person who had been doing as been doing it at this price for over 5 years on a year to year contract. So each year he has had the abilityto raise his price but did not until this year....To me it sounds like he got tired of eating the high cost of fuel, or he got some new equipment or some new higher paid employee's that he has to account for... But thats just me speculating...

BTW if you know of anyone willing to cut a 4000 plot 5 acre cemetery for 300 bucks, hire them as a sub mark it up and send em down. :) Then you make money pushing paper....

9. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

So you're just looking for somebody to cut and trim? Is that it?

10. MarcSmith

there are no shrubs to "maintain " per say, but there is some hillside "brush trimming" that gets done once per year. Usually by my staff, but we would like to have the contractor who cuts the cemetery cut that as well...

there are no chemical/fert apps scheduled so its pretty much much mow and trim. with a touch of blowing.

Marc