Me and the Gravely Pro Turn 60 chased by dog!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by D&K Lawns, May 9, 2011.

1. D&K Lawns

D&K Lawns LawnSite Member

Was mowing a commercial account Saturday when I looked up and this large dog was coming towards me. He was not afraid of the mower running and began to growl and bark, when he got really close I tried to scare him with the mower by running it towards him but he kept coming to the side snapping at me! I am sitting here thinking what the heck??? Never had anything like this happen before. I thought for a minute he was gonna jump up on the mower with me. I took off, the gravely will go 13 miles an hour, trying to out run him, which didn't work, and eventually he gave up and turned away. I was so ambarrased that I kept looking around to see if anyone was looking! Glad I wasn't trimming!!

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

are you a big guy? Ive been in standoffs with dogs before and it sure gets your adrenaline going but ill stand my ground and if the dang thing jumps at me hes getting kicked or punched out. i always carry a folder on me. benchmade tanto blade

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

not worth getting rabies or stitches.

Next time kick the stupid thing hard as you can in the snout.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Wheelie with the blades turned on. Then sell the chunks of meat to a local korean restaurant.

5. TheMadOne

TheMadOne LawnSite Member

Well, this worked wonders on an extremely large and aggressive Rotwiler that came charging across the road at me. Stood my ground & tried the audible high pitch siren noise part of it first, just seemed to pizz it off. When it got close enough it lunged and actually grabbed the baton in it's teeth............. BIG MISTAKE! I pulled the "trigger" the dog hit the ground jaws locked on the baton & when I let go of the trigger a few seconds later it laid there a second & pizzed all over it's self then ran off like it's behind was on fire.

http://www.kbspersonalsecurity.com/swexpandable.htm

Dog was no worse for the wear / lesson, but it never ran across the street after me again when I would show up to mow. No wounds, no injuries, just a painful lesson in why not to charge me!

6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

^thats hilarious!

What I find almost worse than dogs are geese. We mow around a retention pond at an HOA where the geese went crazy defending a nest. I was using the scag proV to mow the slopes and even with everything on and me wheelying the mower it kept holding its ground. They have even divebombed me when I was applying the flight control goose repellant there. I always have to watch my back. The 3 decoy coyotes I put sure do keep them away now...

7. a clear difference lawn

a clear difference lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I love my benchmade - never leave home without it!!

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

sprayed a dog with mace before. that worked great, but i will kill a dog if it attacks me to the best of my ability. he wil lhave to go thru the mower first though!! hahaha

9. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

x2 on running the effer over. And If you were trimming I'd give it a face full of twine, and club it with the trimmer.

0 tollerance for mean dogs. BUT I am lucky because all of the dogs at the places I mow are super happy to see me. I love to pet dogs and get them used to me commin buy every week.